Genesis Bikes

mstrmind5
mstrmind5 Posts: 45
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

Looking for a bike that will be my only bike, to be used mainly for commuting in London. I had decided to settle for the Eastway Balun C2 (£640), as it was closer to my budget for ~£600, but I've now seen a few Genesis bikes reduced in the sale that has made me think again. They are:

Genesis Equilibrium Decade 2016 - £700 (rim brakes, 725 steel, with full mudguards, and rack and front light included)
Genesis Equilibrium Disc 10 2016 - £800 (trp spyre disc brake, )
Genesis Croix de Fer 20 2016 - £890 (trp hy/rd disc brake, 725 steel, steel fork)

Some considerations - the Equilibrium bikes will only take 25c tyres with full mudguards, the Croix der Fer larger.

I've always thought the Genesis bikes were overpriced, but reduced they are more appealing, yet, they are more than my budget. I'm still leaning towards the Balun because of the price, but if the extra cost can be justified on any of the Genesis bikes then I could probably stretch for that. So are they actually good value for money? Some questions to help me:

Are the rim brakes on the Equilibrium Decade any good and how do they compare to the discs mentioned above (any better long drop rim brakes)?
How are the wheels on the Genesis bikes listed above (Alex Rims Draw 1.9P TCS and Fulcrum Racing Sport DB CX)?
How is a steel frame compared to aluminium (4130 or 725 from Genesis) like on commuting on relatively flat roads (with the usual bumps and shocks London roads provide)?
How does a steel fork compare to carbon fork?
Are there any differences riding with 25c, 28c or larger tyres?
Bike recommendation?

Thanks and anything further welcome.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    800 pounds fitted with Spyre seems good value to me, for the disc option... disc will save you cash in the long run, as you can keep your wheels going for much longer
    left the forum March 2023
  • If you're gonna be commuting in the wet then I'd strongly consider the disc brake option (with 28mm tyres). Makes a big difference and even better with full length mudguards
  • I'd stretch to the Croix de Fer If I were you - gets good reviews, and although not full hydraulic braking that TRP hybrid also is reviewed favourably, and most importantly for commuting etc it takes wider tyres - go 30 or bigger if you can...
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    coops1967 wrote:
    I'd stretch to the Croix de Fer If I were you - gets good reviews, and although not full hydraulic braking that TRP hybrid also is reviewed favourably, and most importantly for commuting etc it takes wider tyres - go 30 or bigger if you can...

For commuting in London large tyres are un-necessary, although it means you can use touring tyres, which are punctureproof. The Equilibrium should take 28 mm no problem
    I have Spyre and HyRD... there is not much between them, but with the Spyre you can adjust the lever throw, with the HyRD you can't and not many like the long throw
    left the forum March 2023