Evans Cycles suspension servicing any good?

swod1
swod1 Posts: 1,639
edited September 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Not sure if this is better in this section or the buying section so please move if appropriate.

Got some forks Rockshox Recon gold tk that I bought used and ridden for a while but now when you press down on the forks when locked out they feel a bit clunky if that's the right word to use, so suspect worn bushings maybe no oil or air leaks.

Do they just need a lower leg service?

So going to get them serviced and wonder if anyone has used Evans for fork servicing? I'm considering these as I can take the forks off bike, in to local store and then collect them without the hassle of posting myself etc.

Or would I be better off sending them to TFtuned?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If they need new bushings then it's no longer just a service (which is oil and seals only).

I suspect Evans don't do the work but farm it out to the likes of Mojo or TFTuned, so personally would go direct.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    The Rookie wrote:
    If they need new bushings then it's no longer just a service (which is oil and seals only).

I suspect Evans don't do the work but farm it out to the likes of Mojo or TFTuned, so personally would go direct.

It says on there site they have a suspension servicing centre but don't see much reviews of them.

I know tftuned are good so probably will just use them. All TF Tuned fork services include wiper/oil seals, foams, O-rings, oils and bushing re-sizing according to the website so maybe it just needs resizing.

I have checked the maxle 15mm and the wheel isn't loose to cause the problem.

Are bushings expensive as I only paid 41 pound for the forks but they are in very good condition on the outside to make it worth bothering with a service.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Replacement bushes are included in the service price at TF Tuned I believe.
  • Replacement bushes are included in the service price at TF Tuned I believe.
    No they are not and you may find that cost of bushings outweighs value o fork by a long way :(
  • Their website suggests that they are included.
    It's really not a big job and parts cost next to nothing.
  • swod1
    I sent the forks to tf tuned and got them back today.

They said they were really good condition inside, guy at tf tuned did mention they could be converted to coil Spring at an extra cost about 100 pound I passed on that.

Forks only cost me 50 quid and then outlay for service.