Mobile broadband

dave35
dave35 Posts: 1,124
edited August 2016 in The cake stop
Any decent recommendations? Only need it for a week or so,don't want to spend a fortune so pay as you go,just for catching up with e mails and keeping the kids amused. Would 2gb be plenty?

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I've got a free 3 data sim that gives 200Mb a month - for nothing ...
    https://www.three.co.uk/Free_SIM_MBB/Order

I can then top it up if needed - which I may do - depends if the campsite have wifi and if I get a three signal there ... works on their feel at home deal too
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Depends how the kids like to be kept amused - if it's YouTube or Netflix streaming then the more the better, tens of gigs not impossible, although you probably want to verify that the place you're going has decent coverage (and no wi-fi) before stumping up the cash.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,532
    check the coverage maps for the area(s) you'll be in, otherwise you may find you have no service
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • dave35
    Been checking coverage, most networks seem to cover Great Yarmouth-is there much difference between getting a pre loaded dongle or a Sim card that I can stick in the laptop?
    Wi fi on site but i'm not going to be the saddo with the laptop at the bar as that's the only wi fi spot.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,532
    i'd go for three or ee then

how many devices will need to connect? will you want to do it again in future?

if it's more than one and you'll want it again, i'd consider getting a mifi router, this'll connect on 4g and then share to other devices via wifi, they're rechargeable so you can use them on the move too

you can get them from the operator locked to their network but with a payg sim, or buy an unlocked one and use the data sim of your choice

http://shop.ee.co.uk/dongles/pay-as-you ... yg/details

more advanced+unlocked (need to add a sim)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-M7350- ... B00PFXFWTQ
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • dave35
    more than likely be a one off, probably only one device-laptop as me and the mrs have our stuff on the ipad.
    Daughter will use netflix more than anything but restricted time.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    It is worth getting a few PAYG sims to check what the actual coverage is like. Most will be free or fairly cheap to use as a test. once you know which ones work well for you , you can look at the best contracts.

For example in our immediate area Vodafone has a terrible if any signal at all. BT mobile has a very usable 4G signal. O2 has a good signal but runs a lot slower than BT mobile which the coverage map does not show.
  • dave35
    Thanks, got myself a dongle from 3 as it ticked all the boxes. Got home and unpacked it ready to set up-plugged into the usb slot and...nowt-just a red light. Can't find the network in the listings with wi fi on and can't find it with wi fi off. I'm either doing something wrong or as I have only just noticed the words Windows 8 on the box-I'm running latest version of Windows 10 so maybe it's not compatible. When i plugged it in Windows didn't go to automatically install software/drivers for the dongle. Any clues will be appreciated.
  • fearby
    fearby Posts: 245
    Check the best deals for PAYG sims on HUKD as there are bargains to be had depending who has a promotion on.