Temporary fork

carvedmarble
carvedmarble Posts: 61
edited August 2016 in MTB buying advice
I'm going to be sending my front fork for a service soon, while its away I'll need a temporary fork so I can still ride.

I use my bike for commuting mainly so a rigid fork is fine, when I look on places like chain reaction there doesnt seem to be much, if any available. My bike is Trek Xcal 9, 29er and I use tyres 2.2 wide, its a straight 1 1/8 steerer, is there one anyone can recommend or a place that would be good to get one from, as cheap as possible really as it will only be used while my normal fork is being serviced.

Thanks

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Why not just s service the fork yourself?
  • Why not just s service the fork yourself?

I did consider it, im not too sure which manual or instructions would be best to follow to do it. The fork is a bit old now just cant afford a new one yet. Its a Rockshox XC32 tk solo air 29er, is that the same as a Recon or Sektor in the current models, Ive no idea? haha!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    On-one do cheap rigid steel disc forks, or just search for rigid disc fork on eBay. Mosso are nice.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ive had it since Sept '14 and its never had a proper service, only a wipe of the stanchions with a microfibre cloth after each ride and a wipe of gt85 every now and then. Its only now starting to feel like it needs a bit of love, its performed flawlessly to be honest and never had any issues with it.

Cheers Rookie i'll have a look.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Never use GT85 on forks, it eats the seals.
    The method for a lower lube is exactly the same as pretty much any Rockshox fork.
    Buy a Rockshox 32mm seal kit and some lower lube mix from TF Tuned.
    A professional service will cost nearly as much as a new XC32

http://www.tftuned.com/mobile/tech-help ... lower-lube

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc ... boCzXzvpww
  • philcubed
    philcubed Posts: 260
    Is there anywhere local that could service it quick, so you don't need a spare? I had mine serviced locally (essex), dropped it off New Years Eve, picked it up 2nd jan, so excellent turnaround!