Shimano Crank Width Differences

dannbodge
dannbodge Posts: 1,152
edited August 2016 in Road general
Good morning,

I've recently changed my groupset from Shimano Sora (50/34 crankset) to Shimano 105 (50/34 Crankset)

Since changing over, I've noticed it has started to give me pain in my knees. Now the cranks are the same length, and my saddle position hasn't moved. The only thing I think has changed is the width of the cranks (q-factor?)

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the sora and 105 Q factors?

If there is, how can I make my new 105 cranks the same width as my old Sora ones?

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I'd be surprised if it made a difference. MTB Q factors are wider than road and they don't all have bad knees.

Have you been doing more riding or anything different ?
  • dannbodge
    Nope same amount of riding over the same route.

The only reason I think it may be the width is because I had to relocate my cadence sensor as the crank was much closer to the frame than before and the magnet wouldn't fit.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Even if there is a difference, you will adapt to it - the human body is remarkable in that way. Just give it a few more rides.
  • dannbodge
    I went to my LBS this afternoon and confirmed there is no difference between the two crank widths.

Hopefully it's just the way I've been riding. I have noticed that my right knee has been brushing the top tube occasionally since swapping groupset too.
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    Apologies about the obvious question Dan, but did you buy new pedals and/or new cleats at the same time?
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • dannbodge
    Andcp wrote:
    Apologies about the obvious question Dan, but did you buy new pedals and/or new cleats at the same time?

It's okay. It's not obvious.
    No I didn't. They are the same as was fitted to the Sora
  • Are you sure you are not just cycling in a harder gear than previously?
  • dannbodge
    No idea as I've gone from 9spd to 11.
    Avg speed has gone up on my normal route so it is a possibility.

I moved my cleats (further down my foot and closer to the inside) last night and have been for another ride today and I seem to have sorted it now. Didn't seem to brush my knee on the top tube and they don't hurt like normal, so it could have just been something there.