2014 Whyte T-129s wheelset upgrade

ben11
ben11 Posts: 103
edited August 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi Guys, I'm considering upgrading the wheelset on my Whyte as it looks like I can save around 500g rolling mass in doing so which is quite an attractive prospect.
I've mainly been looking at a Crest rimmed set as they seem to have the best weight claims for the £ and have also used the 26" version on my hardtail and been pleased with the results.
The only thing I'm not sure on is the hubs / axel. I've found a seller on ebay in poland who does various builds with great weight claims and price. It says you can convert the hubs to 100x15 / 142/12 - is this correct for my bike?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wheels-NoTubes-ZTR-Crest-29-Novatec-9mm-135x5-Centerlock-black-1505g-/331859643843?hash=item4d44604dc3:g:o-EAAOSwFnFV7uwk

If you go onto their store there are loads of different builds, any info / recommendations would be appreciated. Cheers.

Comments

• Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    crests are quite soft for the t129, if you plan to get aggressive at some point most probably won't hold up, used novatec hubs before, their alu freehubs were to soft that cassettes dug deep and difficult to remove. go flow ex and basic dt swiss hub if he does that
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Alloy freehubs are fine with spidered cassettes, also many Novatech hubs now come with a steel insert that prevent digging in.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ben11
    ben11 Posts: 103
    What makes you think the crests will be too soft? I've ran them on my hardtail for years without any problems
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    people had issues when riding hard, not suitable for gnarly terrain, at least not as tough as a t129 needs anyway.
    where do you ride? if the trails are smooth maybe won't be an issue
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut