Should service my fork or upgrade?

mark_fogel
mark_fogel Posts: 158
edited September 2016 in MTB buying advice
I have a Boardman FS Team with 130mm Rockshox Sektor Silver fork which had almost 2 years of abuse and it no longer feels as plush as it used to.
I like the fork, it performs well but a bit heavy due to having steel stanchions. I am just wondering... is it worth spending the money servicing this fork or shall I just buy something better/lighter like Manitu or Sektor Gold?

Thanks,
Mark

Comments

• kyle17290
    kyle17290 Posts: 261
    As you seem satisfied with your current fork, then just service it. New seals, foam rings, oil etc wont cost much. Plenty of instructional videos on youtube etc.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Give it a lower lube and some new seals. It's probably running dry after two years.
    It's a really easy job, just look up the manual on Rockshox website. Make sure everything is spotless when you reassemble the fork.
    I do mine every three months to keep them nice and fit new seals once a year.
  • mark_fogel wrote:
    I have a Boardman FS Team with 130mm Rockshox Sektor Silver fork which had almost 2 years of abuse and it no longer feels as plush as it used to.
    I like the fork, it performs well but a bit heavy due to having steel stanchions. I am just wondering... is it worth spending the money servicing this fork or shall I just buy something better/lighter like Manitu or Sektor Gold?

Thanks,
    Mark

hi mark

can i ask if you do service your forks can you please message me or post on here what videos you watched and were you got the parts from, as im in the same boat and i have the boardman pro HT.

thanks
  • mark_fogel
    mark_fogel Posts: 158
    mark_fogel wrote:

Thanks,
    Mark

hi mark

can i ask if you do service your forks can you please message me or post on here what videos you watched and were you got the parts from, as im in the same boat and i have the boardman pro HT.

thanks

I ended up taking the bike to my local Halfords and asking them to service it. Was quoted £30 to do the fork which I was happy with. The bike needed some work anyways, new BB, cassette, cables etc thought might as well get it done all at once which would save me the hassle.
    Will post update once I get my bike back, cheers!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    They won't be doing a proper job for £30 (£20 worth of seals and lube is needed) and I wouldn't trust Halfords with a fork service.
  • So.... thought I should give you guys an update,

I have dropped my bike off for a service on 30th and to this day I do not have my bike back yet. The fork and shock have not been touched and they broke my front mech.

Complaint letter sent to Halfords customer services... If you are thinking about taking your bike to Halfords for any work, I would recommend against it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    While I appreciate your issue its well known that Halfords can vary a lot in quality, some are great, some are shockers, so saying 'don't take it to Halfords' is about as meaningful and useful as saying don't take it to your LBS after you have an issue with another random LBS.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    While I appreciate your issue its well known that Halfords can vary a lot in quality, some are great, some are shockers, so saying 'don't take it to Halfords' is about as meaningful and useful as saying don't take it to your LBS after you have an issue with another random LBS.

My problem with the service as a whole rather than a particular issue which consisted of long delays and incompetence... to be fair I had allot of work done in that particular store without any issues previously. This time they had my bike for a week and messed me around quite a bit damaging parts in the process. Shame really as I was really looking forward to getting my bike back so I could ride so I am disappointed. I have made a complaint so will see how that goes, hopefully they will be able to complete some of the service and repairs and when I have it back I will try servicing the forks myself.