Mudguards for Tight Clearances

timmyotool
timmyotool Posts: 172
edited August 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations for mudguards that will fit approx a 1cm clearance.

This is for a disc braked road bike with full mounts available, all the recommendations that I can find are usually for "traditional" road bikes - Cruds road racers etc. So I'm not sure if these are any use to me.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    timmyotool wrote:
    Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations for mudguards that will fit approx a 1cm clearance.

This is for a disc braked road bike with full mounts available, all the recommendations that I can find are usually for "traditional" road bikes - Cruds road racers etc. So I'm not sure if these are any use to me.

Any thoughts?

No personal experience, but I gather these are meant to be good:
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-Speedshield-Road-ALUXX-Mudguards-Defy-Avail-_85664.htm
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    edited August 2016
    I've got those Giant mudguards on my Allez and they work a treat under Shimano 105 5800 calipers. I seem to recall reading a review here on BR that said they only needed 4mm headroom so they should be OK for you. Full details of my fit are here: viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13040738
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • 86inch
    86inch Posts: 161
    How about Portland Design Works Full Metal Fenders, 30mm for road bikes.

Top-notch quality, great fit, look fantastic and work perfectly - what more could you ask (apart from a lower price)?

I use them on my CAAD8 winter bike.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Second the PDW guards.

I have them on very tight clearances on my winter bike (a Kinesis Aithein, so an alu race bike) and work fine. I went for the smaller of the set and can just fit 23mm tyres in there.

See my sig for pics.
  • ayjaycee
    Totally agree on the PDW mudguards - perhaps the best quality that I have ever seen but they are only any good if they fit your bike and they didn't in my case!
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • Anonymous
    How so?
    I found that the clearance against the seattube was too tight so I drilled out the rivets to the little C-clip and now use a cable tie to keep it attached like crudguards.
  • ayjaycee
    Coriordan, Tried them, there simply wasn't enough headroom and I just couldn't be ar5ed to mod them at the time - there really is very little room to play with on my Allez, particularly if you want the 25mm 4 Seasons that I prefer. Also, if I had wanted to start fixing mudguards using zip ties and / or rubber bands, I would have persisted with the Cruds which IMHO are total and utter shite. Thankfully, I am more than happy with my current fit and in use they are solid as the proverbial rock with no rattles or noises whatsoever. If I am unlucky enough to break the Giants, I would go out and buy another pair straight away - indeed, typing this, I'm thinking that maybe I ought to order a pair to stick in the loft just in case........
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • Anonymous
    Ah yes. If you want to run anything other than 23mm tyres it won't work. As for the bodge, it's probably a better solution than the original method
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    I have a pair of thin and wide PDW guards up in the roof of the garage, should I ever need them.

Somewhere had them on offer the other year, I forget where now, but there was a fair price reduction, and people were raving about them.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • timmyotool
    timmyotool Posts: 172
    Thanks all,

I'm running 28mm tyres, hence the tight clearance.

Its good to see the PDW guards have a disc brake adapter kit so that should solve one of my worries.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    coriordan wrote:
    Second the PDW guards.

I have them on very tight clearances on my winter bike (a Kinesis Aithein, so an alu race bike) and work fine. I went for the smaller of the set and can just fit 23mm tyres in there.

See my sig for pics.

and thats the main issue with them.. a max of 23mm not so brill for winter bad road riding...mine are in the shed .. not fitted as yet... yes the quality is there above SKS longs STILL with that STUPID clip system that just does NOT work SKS..
    but at least you can get 28mm tyres underneath if need be.
  • Anonymous
    Never suffered any slippage on the old Conti ultra sports or the recent schwalbe Durano plus
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    I am running the PDW guards with 25mm (effectively 27mm) Michelin Pro 4s on my Equilibrium, no problems. But then the bike has clearance for proper mudguards with long drop brakes.