Verve InfoCrank Nightmare

mattitheowl
mattitheowl Posts: 72
edited August 2016 in Road general
A couple of months ago British Cycling had a competition to win a set of Verve InfoCrank power meters. I didn't win but was contacted by Verve to see if I would like to take up a special offer of "naming my price" for a set. I happily did this and sent payment, it took nearly 3 weeks for the product to arrive after my payment was made but when it did I set to installing them. Now I'm not a pro mechanic by any stretch but the install was incredibly difficult and fiddly and the cadence sensor magnets supplied were a joke (big bulky stick on magnets that simply won't stick). So I ordered a bolt on set that is connected to the screw on the bottom side of the bottom bracket where the cabling runs (more on that later). So I paired the units with my Garmin 1000 and set off on a quick ride - nothing, zip, nada. Turned around and rode home to try and sort it. Turns out the magnet had already fallen off. So activated the cranks again with another magnet and went to find the original one. Now I'm getting some power readings and they seem good. I find the stick on (fall off) magnet and finish my ride. I then go on holiday for 2 weeks. Come home and dust off the bike and try to install the new bolt held magnet, only to find the supplied bolt is nowhere near long enough to attach it to the bike so have to give up on that. I activate the cranks and set off - no power again. I can't be bothered to turn around so just enjoy my ride. Get home and have a look on the Verve website and notice a firmware update which allows them to work with no magnets on the bike - BRILLIANT! So I download all the necessary software and plug in the Ant+ dongle. Follow all the instructions and the software says it will take about 5 mins to update, I leave it on 57% and go have a shower, come back and it's still on 57%. I leave it in total for an hour and it still just says 57%. So I click on the software and it has crashed. I restart the process but it seems the right crank is now bricked. So I contact verve who give me instructions on how to do a full re-install. First step is remove the batteries. I go to take the cover off and hear a click noise, the battery cover comes off and the bolt that holds it in has snapped clean in two! So I now can't install the batteries or cover, have a crank I can't ride with as it's completely open and can't do anything to get the bolt out because it's a 2mm bolt in a tiny hole!

I'm absolutely at my whits end with a £1200 product that so far hasn't worked for more than 5 miles and is now making my bike unrideable!

Comments

• ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Send it back if its faulty. Not sure why you need to post this on here to be honest.
  • Just a bit of a frustration vent I guess. Also wondering if anyone else had ever had any issues with this product.
  • ravey1981
    If you read the DC rainmaker review of it he mentions the magnet situation, most PMs that need frame magnets seem to end up being a bit DIY (he superglued his on) most probably because frames arent designed with that in mind... its a messy solution really hence why a lot of PMs are doing away with them in favour of accelerometers/other tech as verve seem to have done. The busted battery cover screw could be due to a frustrated home mechanic? :wink:

In any case, as I said. Just send it back and get a replacement or a refund. How much did you pay by the way? Assuming not £1200?
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Just a bit of a frustration vent I guess. Also wondering if anyone else had ever had any issues with this product.

i know some junior riders who have this PM via their BC programs and dont have issues, send it back for replacement or refund.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    ravey1981 wrote:
    In any case, as I said. Just send it back and get a replacement or a refund. How much did you pay by the way? Assuming not £1200?

This.

I sure hope you didn't pay anywhere near £1200! That is at the top end of the power meter market these days (SRM excluded obvs) and I'd be expecting something a lot more refined from an established company for that kind of money. Even with the BC 20% off they're way overpriced IMO.
  • I got it for £520 which included 3 months access to their web based training system (of which I've yet had chance to use).

The broken bolt is tiny and for me a bit of a design flaw. The only way to turn it off or reset it is to remove the battery so to undo and redo must put a fair bit of strain through it. It snapped when it wasn't even half way tight!
  • ravey1981
    Price seems good, would probably have bought one at that myself, they have had decent reviews in the cycling press. Anyway, what have they said re warranty etc?
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    I got it for £520 which included 3 months access to their web based training system (of which I've yet had chance to use).

The broken bolt is tiny and for me a bit of a design flaw. The only way to turn it off or reset it is to remove the battery so to undo and redo must put a fair bit of strain through it. It snapped when it wasn't even half way tight!

Send it back, get a refund, and get a Favero BePro - £368 for single side transmitter. I've run one for 3 months and it has been flawless.

Battery lasts about 30 hours, it gives a 4 hour low battery warning, and is recharges via USB plug.
  • I had a Stages left hand crank that I sold to "upgrade" to this. :(

They've said they will send me a replacement but as I can't cover the hole I'm reluctant to ride it! So until I get the replacement I'm stuck!
  • Sounds like a great excuse for a new bike if you ask me
  • ravey1981
    I had a Stages left hand crank that I sold to "upgrade" to this. :(

They've said they will send me a replacement but as I can't cover the hole I'm reluctant to ride it! So until I get the replacement I'm stuck!

electrical insulating tape
  • Had mine for best part of 2 years. Fitted by a mechanic. The instructions say not to over tighten the covers. I did just that but had a replacement set sent (FOC) and applied some liquid PTFE. No issue since. Found their customer service to be excellent. At £520 I'd buy another set - was that chainset too?