Tour de l'Avenir -***gâcher la surprise***

specialgueststar
specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
edited August 2016 in Pro race
stage 1 completed to Veauche

sprint finsih ? but only 42 in front group

which nations will be strong?

so far Italian Albanese takes the top step he's with Bardiani next year and is 19!

Tao Hart 4th

Germany looked strong - Nico Denz already done over 8K of racing for Ag2R so far this year

Spain still seem weak in the u 23 area ??

Two Norwegians in the top 10 today - early days but are they stronger than Spain ?

Two new FdJ stagiares could do well - but no little about them apart form Gaudu is 19 and won the u23 Peace race and is a Breton ?

Comments

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    stage 1 completed to Veauche

sprint finsih ? but only 42 in front group

which nations will be strong?

so far Italian Albanese takes the top step he's with Bardiani next year and is 19!

Tao Hart 4th

Germany looked strong - Nico Denz already done over 8K of racing for Ag2R so far this year

Spain still seem weak in the u 23 area ??

Two Norwegians in the top 10 today - early days but are they stronger than Spain ?

Two new FdJ stagiares could do well - but no little about them apart form Gaudu is 19 and won the u23 Peace race and is a Breton ?
    Surely Costa is the favourite.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    The times have been corrected now. Top 5, including Tao, were part of a 5 man break all day.

Most of the favourites lost 50 seconds, Costa lost a minute.

I'm sure inner ring, or somebody said some of the stages will have live video this year.
  • Richmond Racer 2
    Richmond Racer 2 Posts: 4,698
    edited August 2016
    St 1 highlights

http://youtu.be/rIEp3rRCJ9E

The usual thin gruel. Ah well at least this year ES are showing coverage Fri onwards, which I'll take happily
  • GB have a good team here. Tao is a decent climber - there are some who are better, but he will have James Knox & Scott Davies on hand for support in the mountains

(Scott's potential is known, but keep an eye on Knox for the future. Went to Team Wiggins from Zappi, and he's had some decent results this year. Developing nicely.)
  • St 1 highlights

The usual thin gruel. Ah well at least this year ES are showing coverage Fri onwards, which I'll take happily

Le Puy en Velay? Some hard cycling country around there. Roads like velcro.
    A good start for TGH.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • St 1 highlights

Le Puy en Velay? Some hard cycling country around there. Roads like velcro.
    A good start for TGH.

Aye. Really good route, this edition
  • Grondahl ( Norway) who took second yesterday takes the stage and the lead - Dibben and Denz must have been in a break with him?? My man(u-23 squad member) Denz is second on Gc aminute back . Nathan Van Hooydonck who is getting plenty of attention is also top 10
  • Turfle
    Yes, it was a 3 man break all day.

Directvelo do a ticker every day:
    http://www.directvelo.com/direct/3012/t ... ir-etape-2
  • Today's stage highlights http://youtu.be/vOeTJ1-TCPE
  • stage 4 - another Norwegian stage win! Halvorsen

stage 5 tt lumpy 10 mile ish tt Costa takes it in 21.14 team mate powless second Dibben third

GC Costa and powless jump into top 10 but overall not much change - Van Hooydonk now 4th behind

Grondahl, Denz, Dibben
  • hill top finish on a cat 2 today

tour-de-avenir-2016-stage-5-1465325447.jpeg

then........ :)

tour-de-avenir-2016-stage-6-1465325477.jpg

and

tour-de-avenir-2016-stage-7-1465325513.jpg

and finall a HC finish

tour-de-avenir-2016-stage-8-1465325527.jpg
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Jon Dibben going well in third. Another talented young trackie.
  • joelsim
    'Coaster' back to Axeon after his trainee stint at EQS this year.

Probably wise, but he's going to be a very big rider very quickly.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Rodriguez of Colombia gets the stage win on Stage 5. Tao takes 10th and moves to third on GC. Some big gaps opened up with Dibben losing 8 minutes and dropping in 80th odd place. Scott Davies not doing as well as I'd hoped, over 10 minutes down in 91st place.
  • Denz

14068299_529127827297395_4200391120597004215_n.jpg?oh=ea302f6c3058aedec6c1ae288f99294f&oe=585E6516
  • Turfle
    Pross wrote:
    Rodriguez of Colombia gets the stage win on Stage 5. Tao takes 10th and moves to third on GC. Some big gaps opened up with Dibben losing 8 minutes and dropping in 80th odd place. Scott Davies not doing as well as I'd hoped, over 10 minutes down in 91st place.

Davies was there (according to the ticker at least) with the final 30 riders. Presumably he sat up once his work for Tao was done.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Must have done, he dropped over 8 minutes in the end so probably came in with Dibben. I guess they are both riding in support of Tao which is fair enough.
  • Dibbo and Gabz Cullaigh have been getting into breaks to protect GB's position etc.

Not too certain of Scott Davies's form. He did a decent but unspectacular TT. Could have been told to save his legs as much as possible to help Tao in the mountain stages coming up.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Pretty hefty time gaps today. Gaudu looking strong.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • the stage times looks like a club mountain time trial result

Know a bit more about Gaudu now!

david-GAUDU-fdj.jpg
  • joelsim
    There are some very interesting riders here, looking forward to the weekend's TV. Costa and Tao are well known but Bernal, Gaudu, Rodriguez and Scachmann are well thought of too, amongst others.
  • The usual coverage shambles from Eurosport for shoot small races.
    Still not on. Should have started 20 minutes ago.
  • Just manage to go live as they start the final climb.
    15kms left.
  • joelsim
    Not had sight of Costa yet
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    ES player not working for me, which is annoying.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Enjoyed that.
    Schultz from the breakaway takes it.
    Tao dropped like a sack of spuds but grinds out a top 10 finish.
    Aussies climbing like Colombians and Colombians climbing like Aussies.
    Rodriguez completely MIA.
    Costa into 3rd on GC, but Gaudu looks to be a cut above them all.
  • Gaudu wraps it GC up - that was quite a remarkable race for the 19 year old - seemingly holding the high mountains with relative ease

Ravasi (22) Italy Lampre second

Costa third

TG Hart 6th

Teams :

Australia
    France
    Colombia

img_5269_670.jpg