Ferrand-Prevot: quitting is for losers

davidof
davidof Posts: 3,032
edited August 2016 in Pro race
Something for the PFP haters on the forum
You don't quit the Games, I know, but the hurt was deep, too deep. I don't know when I will get on my bike. Cycling was my dream, it has become my nightmare

PFP is talking about her stress fracture to her knee. A burn-out basically brought on by overtraining for cycling's golden girl.

http://les-sportives-mag.fr/pauline-fer ... est-perdre
BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
Instagramme

Comments

• dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Do Rabo push their riders too hard? Didn't team mate Vos basically suffer from burn out as well...
  • davidof
    It sounds a bit like the Nicole Cooke story. Hunger for success, then over-training on knackered knees. But you are right about Vos' mystery illness. Rabo were the team to beat a year ago.
    Instagramme
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    ...is there anyone who is a PFP hater?

Most of us (and I appreciate this totaly applies to me) think she's rather lovely!

It sounds very much like she's done exactly what Vos did though. I'm not sure that's a Rabo thing, in fact they seem to have been superb with helping Marianne regain fitness, but just a young superstar thing. At some point though, the body has to stop and have a rest.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • PuttyKnees
    PuttyKnees Posts: 381
    It's the danger for all young racers with a taste for success and hunger to get back into it. I doubt that Rabo dictate her training to her. It's a post of anguish though. Women's racing needs Prevot and it's been bad seeing her out the back or struggling.
  • ddraver wrote:

Philip Deignan?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/others ... revot.html
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    Her ill informed comments on armitstead put me off her. Other than that I have no opinion on her
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • ddraver
    GCN say she is off to Canyon SRAM, so we'll have the best looking rider in the best looking kit...

#ShallowProRace
    - @ddraver
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    ddraver wrote:
    GCN say she is off to Canyon SRAM, so we'll have the best looking rider in the best looking kit...

#ShallowProRace

Surely we already have that with Sagan in the rainbow jersey :wink:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    I don't understand why she and her opinions get so much publicity. Her results are pretty mediocre compared to many of her contemparies.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited August 2016
    Pross wrote:
    I don't understand why she and her opinions get so much publicity. Her results are pretty mediocre compared to many of her contemparies.
    1. Because most sports journalists are men.
    2. She was the first French road cyclist to win something significant for about twenty years.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    1. Because most sports journalists are men.
    2. She was the first French road cyclist to win something significant for about twenty years.

Yeah, since Jeannie Longo. :P

Jeannie-Longo.gif
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ddraver
    Pross wrote:

It was that one year really...

She's only just out of U23 too so be fair...plus I'm not sure her opinions get that much publicity. She on the other hand, is not shy of a photoshoot or two which makes her a sponsors dream (I'd expect to see a lot of her all over the Rapha website if that move is confirmed). I don't k ow much about this but I ve heard that she is also no stranger to the pages of the gossip mags in France. Her and Vincent Luis were treated like the french posh and becks
    - @ddraver
  • davidof
    ddraver wrote:

You are one of them!

Postby ddraver » Wed Jul 16, 2014 23:34 pm
    Hmmm yes that's pretty poor. Don't fancy Ferrand-Prevot quite so much any more.
    Instagramme
  • ddraver
    ....oh yes. You can really hear the HATE dripping from such a remark...

:roll:
    - @ddraver
  • davidof
    ddraver wrote:

That was on the milder end but post Giro 2014 there was some real hate for her tactics, FF for example
    Instagramme
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    davidof wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    That was on the milder end but post Giro 2014 there was some real hate for her tactics, FF for example
    Hardly the voice of reason as as I remember.
  • Ed-tron
    Ed-tron Posts: 165
    There was a clip posted here a while ago, that showed PFP blocking a rival on a climb - even swerving across the road to impede her. Was unsavoury.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Ed-tron wrote:
    There was a clip posted here a while ago, that showed PFP blocking a rival on a climb - even swerving across the road to impede her. Was unsavoury.
    That was the aforementioned 2014 Giro Rosa. It was her, Vos and Van der Breggen working together to block Abbott.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RichN95 wrote:
    Ed-tron wrote:
    That was the aforementioned 2014 Giro Rosa. It was her, Vos and Van der Breggen working together to block Abbott.

This no doubt made Abbott's loss in Rio all the more bitter.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • PuttyKnees
    PuttyKnees Posts: 381
    I thought that was pretty rough tactics at the time. I'm surprised it was allowed - I didn't think you could purposely take someone's line?

I think dismissing Prevot is a bit harsh. Winning the stripes in 3 disciplines is pretty incredible and deserves respect.
  • davidof
    edited August 2016

This no doubt made Abbott's loss in Rio all the more bitter.

I chatted with Mara Abbott during the GR this year, not a woman who likes losing I can tell you!

Here's a piece on her in the Grauniad

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/ ... -giro-rosa
    Instagramme
  • davidof
    Instagramme
  • Big fan of Mara Abbott

Less so of PFP

If that makes me a 'hater', I guess I'll just have to learn to live with it
  • gsk82 wrote:
    Her ill informed comments on armitstead put me off her. Other than that I have no opinion on her
    I think I might love her...

So I do have an opinion. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
  • davidof
    ok 2 for the price of 1

cycling-champions-marion-rousse-and-pauline-ferrandprevot-are-for-picture-id176392331

Mrs Gallopin and Mrs Absalon
    Instagramme
  • ddraver
    If we re going down this route, i present Mrs Iserbyt

https://www.instagram.com/puckmoonen/
    - @ddraver