Quick release rear rack bag?

nonnac85
nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
edited August 2016 in Commuting general
I have an old 19802 racer that I use to go to work and it has a rear rack already installed. I am changing job soon and the new place has bike storage but not covered so I don't want to leave the rack bag attached all day. I carry things like my lunch / drink / spare clothes so it all fits in a standard rack bag but I'd like one that is "quick release" of some kind to avoid faffing with the velcro every day.

I have seen Topeak's range but don't really want to buy a new rack to be able to use the QR feature.

Any suggestions / recommendations for rear rack bags that can be quick-released much appreciated. Budget up to ~£50
Thanks
My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time

Comments

• Ortleib panniers are just pull one handle to release the clips that hold the bag on to the rack. Probably could be found for 50 quid with a bit of searching, had mine for 10 years or so and they continue to keep everything dry and have survived much abuse and a crash without so much as a mark.
  • nonnac85
    I have panniers but I don't want to use just one and be lopsided. I am looking for a bag that sits on top of the rack that is QR.
  • Does the Ortlieb Trunk Bag do what you need?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Topeak have their MTX QuickTrack mounting - but you will need a QuickTrack rack to go with a QuickTrack bag.

Altura have the Rack Pack Landing Strip on some of their rack top bags - one clip and some vecro strips to stop the bag wobbling - the landing strip stays on the bike when you remove the bag, so the fiddly fastening is only done on initial installation.

Having said that, I have a Carradice Carradura rack bag and it really takes no time at all.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    nonnac85 wrote:
    I have panniers but I don't want to use just one and be lopsided.
    You won't be, I use a single pannier on one side and you don't even notice when riding. I would guess complete it weighs no more than 5Kg while I weigh over 80Kg and the bike another 9Kg so you can see how little effect it will have!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nonnac85
    I have tried the one pannier idea and didn't like the lopsided feeling. Have had a look at some of those suggestions e.g. ortlieb etc. Will do a bit of research then make a decision. Thanks for the ideas :-)
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    dhb pannier @ £30: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-waterproof-pannier-22l/

Deen using mine for a few months and it's great, solid and durable.
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 1,754
    May be worth looking at something like Vaude Silk Road Plus or Lezyne Trunk Caddy Ex.
    Both simply strap onto the rack with velcro straps and have side pockets with fold down panniers if you need some occasional extra carrying space for shopping etc.

I've used both types and find then useful for commuting.