Internal cable routing problems

koontz
koontz Posts: 119
edited August 2016 in Workshop
So I had a problem with the front mech which I attempted to fix, but in the process the cable got frayed. So I purchased said cable and this is were the problem starts. I have no problem threading the gear cable through the shifter into the frame but it gets snagged near the bottom bracket, Now the bike is a canyon endurace only 2 months old, Am I missing something?, tell me you dont have to remove the cranks and bb, because if this is the case I am going to be pissed.

Comments

• Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Try bending the end of the cable (the last inch or so) then twist it around when you get to the problem area, this worked for me when I had the same problem.
  • koontz
    Rigga wrote:
    Try bending the end of the cable (the last inch or so) then twist it around when you get to the problem area, this worked for me when I had the same problem.

Get the first part of your solution, but 'then twist it around?, around what. Starting to think I should of got a bike with outside cables :?
  • Rigga
    koontz wrote:
    Rigga wrote:

Get the first part of your solution, but 'then twist it around?, around what. Starting to think I should have got a bike with outside cables :?

I mean literally turn the cable with some pliers, one way then the other. Clockwise then anti clockwise. Until it goes.
  • Rigga
    You don't have to use pliers by the way, you could just use your hands, but I can never get a decent grip of the cables because my hands are always covered in oil lol.
  • Rigga
    Because you have now bent the end of the cable, if you keep twisting and pushing, it should eventually get round the blockage.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    koontz wrote:
    So I had a problem with the front mech which I attempted to fix, but in the process the cable got frayed. So I purchased said cable and this is were the problem starts. I have no problem threading the gear cable through the shifter into the frame but it gets snagged near the bottom bracket, Now the bike is a canyon endurace only 2 months old, Am I missing something?, tell me you dont have to remove the cranks and bb, because if this is the case I am going to be pissed.

What is the frame?

Internal cable routing isn't hard, but requires patience if there are no internal guides. Ordinarily you should attach the new cable inner to the old one and pull it through in reverse having cut the nipple end off the old cable. Failing that, attach cotton thread to the old cable and pull it through as normal. Attach the cotton to the new cable end and pull that through. If you haven't done any of those, get the vacuum with a narrow end nozzle attachment (I use a funnel end cut off and taped to the nozzle) and suck a cotton thread through the apertures. Attach to the new cable and pull it through.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Either the above or, get the old cable chop a bit off an seal it with something like nail varnish then push it through the other way an hook it out the down tube hole. Then tape the old to the new very tightly an pull it back through ;)
  • koontz
    Finally managed it but it was complete luck the cable just went through. What a pain in the arse, I even rang two bike mechanics up and they were reluctant to do it as it can be a real pain. Anyway just because I have the cable through does this mean it is positioned correctly?, I mean can you get the cable through and its no routed through the frame properly I have no idea how you would do that.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Try this.

viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=13066069

I changed my internally routed gear cable this morning. The bottom
    Bracket area is very awkward with lots of internal gubbins, but the cable change took just a couple of minutes using sleeves.

Previously, the first time I did it without sleeves, it took me an hour and required all sorts of trickery to get the cable down past the bottom bracket.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Secteur wrote:
    Try this.

viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=13066069

I changed my internally routed gear cable this morning. The bottom
    Bracket area is very awkward with lots of internal gubbins, but the cable change took just a couple of minutes using sleeves.

Previously, the first time I did it without sleeves, it took me an hour and required all sorts of trickery to get the cable down past the bottom bracket.

As has been said above; not all frames can take the sleeving for internal cables. My Basso Astra for instance, has an aperture only big enough to take the cable inner and nothing else. My Merida Reacto takes a full outer all the way from the shifter to the derailleur virtually.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.