new places in Majorca

whoof
whoof Posts: 756
edited September 2016 in Tour & expedition
Can anyone recommend a new place to ride in Majorca. I will be staying in Can Picafort in Alcudia Bay and was looking for somewhere perhaps I hadn't been.

The mountains in the far South West (of Soller) are a bit far.

I've been to the following, and will ride to some of these again:

Monasteries/Castles at San Salvador, Cura de Randa, Bonany (Petra), Castell de Santueri, Puig de Santa Magdelena, Heritage at Betlem, Santa Maria (SE of Pollenca).

The NE end of the mountains from Cap Formentor to Soller including Alora, Orient to Bunyola road.

Most of the inland towns between Sa Pobla, Arta, Felanitx & Santa Maria del Cami.

Just wonder if there were any gems that I might have missed.

Have been toying with the idea of getting the train to Palma and riding back.

Comments

• craigr
    craigr Posts: 53
    We used these guys in March/April, they do cycle shuttle to Andratx, so you can ride back. Cracking coastal route, we cycled from Andratx to Cap Formentor via Puig Major and back to Porta Pollensa, worked out to just under 100 miles.

https://www.mallorcacycleshuttle.com/en ... t-pollenca
  • whoof
    craigr wrote:
    We used these guys in March/April, they do cycle shuttle to Andratx, so you can ride back. Cracking coastal route, we cycled from Andratx to Cap Formentor via Puig Major and back to Porta Pollensa, worked out to just under 100 miles.

https://www.mallorcacycleshuttle.com/en ... t-pollenca

Thanks, that looks really interesting. I've measured the distance and Andratx to Soller in the mountains and then back on flatter roads is 126 km. The only downside would be the 7.50 am start from Alcudia.
  • craigr
    Think it was about 50 minutes on the shuttle bus to Andratx and there is a nice cafe at the bus stop when you get dropped off for breakfast. The coastal route from Andratx to Soller is brilliant and well worth the early rise.
  • whoof
    craigr wrote:
    Think it was about 50 minutes on the shuttle bus to Andratx and there is a nice cafe at the bus stop when you get dropped off for breakfast. The coastal route from Andratx to Soller is brilliant and well worth the early rise.

Thanks it was breakfast I was more concerned with not the early start.
  • craigr
    The bus stopped at the roundabout on this picture, cafe on the left. We did it on a Sunday and it was open then too. Then it was just follow MA-10 road.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@39.57062 ... 312!8i6656
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    If possible Id really recommend you do the shuttle on Saturday or Sunday (assuming your coming in school term time) as the shuttle bus always seems to hit the via cintura in Palma spot on rush hour 8:30. See if waiting full of cyclists most days when I do the school run.
    There is a great route where you do all the Sanctuaries (Maria, Magdalena, Salvador and Randa) all in one day, mostly flat riding with four quite steep climbs interspersed - the route round the back of Randa has now been resurfaced
    Another less popular option is to do Calvia /Galilea/Puigpuñent. Theres also some nice stuff round Arta on what is called the Levant mountains. Bunyola has an absolutely BITCHING climb round the back, but frankly the problem if youre based in the North is your "ride out" options are actually quite limited unless you want to do a 200k day?
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • There's loads of great riding in the South that's quite a way from you.

But the shuttle bus, then ride from Andratx is a must-do.
  • i stay in peguera -- which is much hillier than the north as in the terramunda foot hills -- and i realise you say it is far but there is some great cycling -- and it is doable. one option is to pick up the train, i think it is in lloseta to palma and take that climb over to calvia from which you can get to andrax via a climb through es capedia (one of my favourite).

if you do the ride from andrax up north, there are several great climbs (or rather roads to the sea) on the route -- port de canoche and port de valdemossa -- they are steeper than average but so much fun.

there are several smaller climbs for a nice circuit -- galilea (love this one), grau and tordes ... the loop is about 30 or so miles with about 3000 feet of climbing and i like to do it both ways or figure of eight. you can cut across via a 20% climb, but as i go to mallorca riding a standard 39/27 in april i have avoided it!

and it is doable -- i do an c. 150 km ride over the local climbs (galilea, grau) to soller and up puig and reverse. i am going to try to get to sa colabra next year, with the plan to pick up the train on the return to palma (or call a taxi) ... though i have met people who have done the return ride!
  • i stay in peguera -- which is much hillier than the north as in the terramunda foot hills -- and i realise you say it is far but there is some great cycling -- and it is doable. one option is to pick up the train, i think it is in lloseta to palma and take that climb over to calvia from which you can get to andrax via a climb through es capedia (one of my favourite).

if you do the ride from andrax up north, there are several great climbs (or rather roads to the sea) on the route -- port de canoche and port de valdemossa -- they are steeper than average but so much fun.

there are several smaller climbs for a nice circuit -- galilea (love this one), grau and tordes ... the loop is about 30 or so miles with about 3000 feet of climbing and i like to do it both ways or figure of eight. you can cut across via a 20% climb, but as i go to mallorca riding a standard 39/27 in april i have avoided it!

and it is doable -- i do an c. 150 km ride over the local climbs (galilea, grau) to soller and up puig and reverse. i am going to try to get to sa colabra next year, with the plan to pick up the train on the return to palma (or call a taxi) ... though i have met people who have done the return ride!

I agree wholeheartedly!!
    https://www.strava.com/activities/716708667
    https://www.strava.com/activities/714352420
    https://www.strava.com/activities/713283990
    https://www.strava.com/activities/712062636
  • whoof
    I got back on the 15th and don't think that I went anywhere new but did go to few places I haven't been for a couple of years.

If I go again next year I think I might have a go with the train from Sa Pablo@ 8.56 am to Santa Maria del Cami arriving 9.29 am. A loop to Andraxt and then ride back up north is 150 -160 km.
  • whoof wrote:
    I got back on the 15th and don't think that I went anywhere new but did go to few places I haven't been for a couple of years.

If I go again next year I think I might have a go with the train from Sa Pablo@ 8.56 am to Santa Maria del Cami arriving 9.29 am. A loop to Andraxt and then ride back up north is 150 -160 km.

I just mapped that out, and assuming you'd cut across to Establiments and go up the Col des Tords, down to Calvia, through Es Capedella to Andratx, coast road to Soller, then up the Pig to Lluc, you're already at 130km with a lot of climbing. To return to Port Pollensa is 158km total and if going to Sa Pobla = 154km total.

Long day in the saddle, but worth it! Lunch in Port Soller would be nice.
  • whoof
    whoof wrote:

I just mapped that out, and assuming you'd cut across to Establiments and go up the Col des Tords, down to Calvia, through Es Capedella to Andratx, coast road to Soller, then up the Pig to Lluc, you're already at 130km with a lot of climbing. To return to Port Pollensa is 158km total and if going to Sa Pobla = 154km total.

Once I got to Soller I would go over the Coll de Soller, then Bunyola, Santa Maria and up the Cami de Muro
  • whoof wrote:

it actually doesn't feel like that much climbing as it is so much fun and rolling ... if you stay near peguera, one option is to descend back puig the way you came and go over soller -- it is lovely from this direction though a slog to the tunnel start -- and the road back to establiments is fast fast fast (and paved this year so smooth smooth smooth). i always get lost trying to find that hole in the wall short cut back at establishments, so another option which adds a bit more climbing is to go to esporles