Allez Elite upgrades?

HSimmonds95
HSimmonds95 Posts: 37
edited September 2016 in Workshop
Just bought an Allez Elite charcoal to get into cycling, to get out more and to do some good cardio! Obviously the top upgrade is upgrading myself as a rider and improving fitness levels and skills, but if at some point I were to look to buy some upgrades for the bike, for this model what should I be looking to upgrade first?

Cheers!

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Just bought an Allez Elite charcoal to get into cycling, to get out more and to do some good cardio! Obviously the top upgrade is upgrading myself as a rider and improving fitness levels and skills, but if at some point I were to look to buy some upgrades for the bike, for this model what should I be looking to upgrade first?

Cheers!

Usual suggestion is to upgrade the wheels from the supplied Axis Classic to something a bit lighter. However I would hold off and just ride the wheels you've got until they are trashed and then upgrade.

A cheaper immediate upgrade option might be to just replace the Specialized Espoir tyres with something a little better - maybe Michelin Pro4 SC or Pro4 Endurance in 25mm. Or Continental GP4000i S - tho these are a bit more expensive.

Otherwise the spec of the bike is not too bad so don't witter about upgrades until you have a few more miles under your belt.
  • arlowood wrote:

Cheers!

Usual suggestion is to upgrade the wheels from the supplied Axis Classic to something a bit lighter. However I would hold off and just ride the wheels you've got until they are trashed and then upgrade.

A cheaper immediate upgrade option might be to just replace the Specialized Espoir tyres with something a little better - maybe Michelin Pro4 SC or Pro4 Endurance in 25mm. Or Continental GP4000i S - tho these are a bit more expensive.

Otherwise the spec of the bike is not too bad so don't witter about upgrades until you have a few more miles under your belt.

Agree

Or you could buy a better set of wheels and keep the others for Winter duties?
  • thanks for the ideas, would the later more expensive ones be the below?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-gra ... road-tyre/

What is the difference ride wise when it comes to the different sizes? from 20 to 28?
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    You maybe need to say more about the bike first - things such as age (if not new) and existing components. If it's new, better wheels and/tyres would be a good start BUT, as you rightly point, not as good as upgrading the great lump sitting on top. I had a new Allez Elite (ie. With Tiagra) a couple of years ago and quickly changed the wheels and tyres as well as the brakes. As a result, the ride and safety were greatly improved and I haven't really felt the need to do anything since - I've still got it as my winter bike with mudguards fitted.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    yup - agree - nice Tiagra spec.

Tyres - yup I'd look to replace those - my preference if for GP4000's - but the GP4 seasons are good and other makes are too. The stock ones are ok ... but that's about it - they're good for a thousand miles or so...
    Wheels - next on my list of upgades - I noticed a difference going to Fulcrum racing 5's on mine - the main problem I found with the stock wheels was the way the rear hub interfaced with the freehub - ended up with the cassette twisting on each wheel revolution which made tuning the gears a bit harder.
    After that it's a cross between brakes and shifters - brake performance can be improved by replacing the stock ones with (imho) anything 105 and above. Shifters - well, I just like hidden cables - so a 105-5700 set of shifters would be a nice "upgrade" even if it doesn't achieve anything functionality wise - TBH I've not done that on my Allez - as I use it as a wet/winter bike now.

So - other than replacing everything - it's a nice bike! ;) Nah - seriously - they're nice bikes - I'm happy with mine!
  • it's the 2016 allez elite, charcoal. Yes believe it is Tiagra, haven't changed anything on it so it's just the default set up from the shop.

So wheels and breaks? by wheels you mean just the tyres? not the entire wheel with the rim and what not?

Also newbie question.... should i take that clear plastic guard thing behind the cassette off? looks kind of crap, took off all reflectors and bell, only riding it in the day time at the moment, will get lights for winter.

Yeah I'm really chuffed with it, glad I went that extra 200 quid and got the colour I prefered and also the tiagra seems to be worth the extra from what I'm reading/hearing.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Forget about upgrading anything for now and just get out and ride. After a few more months of riding, you might decide that upgrades are a fairly pointless pursuit - but even if you don't decide that, you will have a better idea yourself of what might need improving.
  • Imposter wrote:
    Forget about upgrading anything for now and just get out and ride. After a few more months of riding, you might decide that upgrades are a fairly pointless pursuit - but even if you don't decide that, you will have a better idea yourself of what might need improving.

do totally agree with you on this, just wondering from people with better knowledge what would be the first point of call IF i were to upgrade anything, seems like the wheels!
  • slowbike
    it's the 2016 allez elite, charcoal. Yes believe it is Tiagra, haven't changed anything on it so it's just the default set up from the shop.

So wheels and breaks? by wheels you mean just the tyres? not the entire wheel with the rim and what not?

Also newbie question.... should i take that clear plastic guard thing behind the cassette off? looks kind of crap, took off all reflectors and bell, only riding it in the day time at the moment, will get lights for winter.

Yeah I'm really chuffed with it, glad I went that extra 200 quid and got the colour I prefered and also the tiagra seems to be worth the extra from what I'm reading/hearing.

Wheels - as in the metal bits the tyres attach too ...
    brakes - the bits attached to the frame that move rubber blocks to contact with the wheel rims...

Neither is important - the bike is perfectly ridable as is - I can recall going on my first club ride with my Allez - my whole bike cost less than one of the other riders wheels - not that it mattered in the slightest.

the best advice is to just ride it until something needs replacing - then replace it ... or, perhaps - if you're going to ride a lot during the winter it's worth keeping the stock wheels for that - as the rims will wear more quickly with the grit when braking - and have a nice summer set of wheels - but TBH, unless you're putting in good miles - just ride it and enjoy! :)
  • Slowbike wrote:
    it's the 2016 allez elite, charcoal. Yes believe it is Tiagra, haven't changed anything on it so it's just the default set up from the shop.

Wheels - as in the metal bits the tyres attach too ...
    brakes - the bits attached to the frame that move rubber blocks to contact with the wheel rims...

Neither is important - the bike is perfectly ridable as is - I can recall going on my first club ride with my Allez - my whole bike cost less than one of the other riders wheels - not that it mattered in the slightest.

the best advice is to just ride it until something needs replacing - then replace it ... or, perhaps - if you're going to ride a lot during the winter it's worth keeping the stock wheels for that - as the rims will wear more quickly with the grit when braking - and have a nice summer set of wheels - but TBH, unless you're putting in good miles - just ride it and enjoy! :)

yeah just wasn't sure on the wheels, as when I googled the recommendations above, they were all just tyres not the actually inner part which i thought was called the wheel. totally clear on the breaks, they've already saved my bacon a few times!

That's crazy, i'd be scared to even touch some of those higher end bikes, works of art!!

Yes that seems like the best idea, and the winter wheels is good, will keep these on for winter, probably get a new set spring next year, as I'm keen to ride through winter in the wet, quite looking forward to it actually!

thanks for your help mate.
  • slowbike
    Just a suggestion .... find a local cycling club to join - most will let you ride with them a few times before joining - it's not normally expensive - find one that does a weekly ride that you can do. You'll get far better help and advice from chatting with others whilst riding.

More importantly - you can continue to call brakes breaks and nobody will worry! ;)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'd repeat the advice above. If it's all working as a new bike should, just crack on and ride the thing. You'll see major improvements from time spent on the bike, less so if you spend that time online shopping for 'upgrades'. And the weather at the moment is a lot better for riding than shopping!

I only replace stuff that breaks or wears out. Tyres, chains, the odd cable, bar tape. One bottom bracket, a new rear mech, a broken spoke, a mech hanger, a broken left shifter replaced with one off Ebay, and some second hand brake calipers that were just about as cheap as the brake blocks alone. Think that's it in 9 years of riding the thing. Still on the original, fairly budget Shimano wheelset.
  • thanks guys, really appreciate the advice! Yes wish I could get out right now, it's spot on today up here, stuck in the office! so really should be worrying about work rather than my brand new bike.....

oh that's a poor typo from myself!

Cheers!!
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    Can I suggest you just ride your stock bike for this season and get a feel for things as it takes a while to get used to a road bike.
    Then next year you can slowly upgrade the bike, you'll be experienced enough to appreciate the difference by then, otherwise you don't get to experience that upgrade feeling.

That's what I did, think my first upgrade was a pair of SPD pedals.
  • Elfed wrote:
    Can I suggest you just ride your stock bike for this season and get a feel for things as it takes a while to get used to a road bike.
    Then next year you can slowly upgrade the bike, you'll be experienced enough to appreciate the difference by then, otherwise you don't get to experience that upgrade feeling.

That's what I did, think my first upgrade was a pair of SPD pedals.

100 percent going to do this now, hopefully at that point, I won't need to ask about upgrades, I'll just be at the point where I can identify what I actually need. It will also be just in time for the good weather next year, so some nice new shiny stuff for better weather!

Went straight in for pedals and shoes, got the hang of them straight away, really amazing, love them!

Thanks for your advice!
  • I've just bought the same bike, making a comeback after a fifteen year lay off...... I upgraded the brakes to 105 after reading that the stock axis were a bit lacking, sold them on eBay and recouped the cost of one calliper :mrgreen:
    I swapped the tires to gatorskins and that'll do, the power plant needs weight reduction and tuning before I spend any more on non wear and tear purchases.
    It's a great bike, my last road bike was a C40 with Chorus so it is a bit of a change but I really rate it.

Paul.
  • I've just bought the same bike, making a comeback after a fifteen year lay off...... I upgraded the brakes to 105 after reading that the stock axis were a bit lacking, sold them on eBay and recouped the cost of one calliper :mrgreen:
    I swapped the tires to gatorskins and that'll do, the power plant needs weight reduction and tuning before I spend any more on non wear and tear purchases.
    It's a great bike, my last road bike was a C40 with Chorus so it is a bit of a change but I really rate it.

Paul.

Nice! Yes I read that about the brakes also, but have nothing to compare them against except the brakes on my car! thinking of getting some tires fairly soon as they arn't that expensive.
    Really nice isn't it, really chuffed with it, did you go for the orange or the charcoal?
  • Charcoal mate, my gorgeous wife has a thing about orange & I prefer to be in stealthy mode at the moment...... :wink:
  • Charcoal mate, my gorgeous wife has a thing about orange & I prefer to be in stealthy mode at the moment...... :wink:

to right! stealth is the word i think of everytime i look at it, when i throw on my full black kit as well, ninja stealth mode.