Islabikes

HD101
HD101 Posts: 28
edited August 2016 in Family & kids cycling forum
Looking to buy my 4 year old her first bike. Have heard a lot of good things about Islabikes - are they worth the extra over a 'normal' kid's bike?
Thanks.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Not at that age, to be honest.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I'd say yes because they hold their value. I just sold my daughters Cnoc 16 for £105 - I paid about £180 for it new 4 years ago.

There are some great alternatives these days though - Frog and Hoy for example. Frog are better value for money in my view and my son's last bike was a Frog 62 (24" wheel bike) - comes with mudguards, spare tubes, touch-up paint and a second set of tyres. Great value.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    HD101 wrote:
    Have heard a lot of good things about Islabikes

You will do, people love saying good things about them 8)
    Their re sale is good due to this fact.

Certainly not a bad bike.

Personally I think there are three types of kids bikes.
    Its not Isla Bikes v 'normal' kids bikes.
    Its Isla Bikes v good kids bikes v bad kids bikes.

Just don't buy a bad kids bike.

Isla Bike v good kids bike may come down to whether or not you want 'Isla Bike' written on it and if you would then enjoy saying good things about them for any other reason than just that they are good kids bikes.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I've just got a frog bike 43 and a Cnoc 16 for our kids and I would say that the Cnoc 16 is a lot better looking bike - thinner tubes, lighter, better saddle, thinner handlebars - all round a better bike. Not to say that both bikes aren't a lot better than some of the alternatives...
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    From our experience, Islabikes are good value and are lighter than the opposition. Frog are also popular. They're very similar to Islabikes but cheaper, which is why they're heavier, but not to the same extent as, say Apollo from Halfords.
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    My 3 and 6 year old daughters just graduated from balance bikes to pedal bikes a few weeks ago on a Eurocamp holiday, via their daily kids' riding lessons.

After a fair bit of research, for me it became a no-brainer to get them each a used Islabike. A Cnoc16 and Bienn20 Large to be precise. Each in superb condition (the rims still have their machining marks) and a couple of years old they cost £150 each, new prices £270 and £370 respectively. They were very reasonably priced compared to other Islabikes on Gumtree of the same vintage (beware of overpricing) and I'd reckon on being able to get £100 each for them even in a few years time, such is the resale market on these little gems. £50 depreciation each bike and a virtually guaranteed easy sale for each. Unbeatable wouldn't be hyping it.

Having seen my three year old ride up a few local inclines (we don't do much flat in the Borders) I'm completely convinced that the weight of a bike for a wee person is hugely significant, I mean imagine a bike that weighs way more than half your body weight (3 year old girl average weight 15kg, 6 year old 21kg) and what a difference each kilo lost from the bike might make - a hell of a lot more than for grownups on our bikes weighing 10% of our bodyweight, that's for sure. Those disgraceful steel BSOs (bike shaped objects) from Halfords et al use 1950s technology and weigh approaching twice the 6kg of the Cnoc16.

If you want to p1ss off your child with the fact that cycling involves lugging around a massively heavy two-wheeled lump of metal that rusts to sh1t as soon as it sniffs fresh air, then just go for a BSO.

Frog bikes look great and we nearly bought a couple, but why add an extra kilo or more to their bikes for no real cost saving?

The sensible thought that has gone into the design of these Islabikes is a result of the company being owned by an actual cyclist and include such recent model developments as the recognition that by using a smaller chainset and smaller rear sprocket, you get a win-win on weight saving (of an already market leading lightweight bike) and retain the same gear ratio of the previously larger chainring and sprocket combo.

The thin section Cro-Mo forks are little masterpieces. I could go on....

As a caveat, yes, I'm a cycling obsessive and always have been despite my first bikes having been heavy heaps of metal but with a choice like Islabike now available, why would you not?
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Any views on the Wiggins kids' bikes? I am due to upgrade bikes for my 5 year old and soon to be 8 year old boy, the boy is on his second Islabike and they have been great and resale means I'll probably get more back than I paid, but he wants a road bike with drop bars next and there seem to be a few more options...
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    edited August 2016
    BigMat wrote:
    Any views on the Wiggins kids' bikes? I am due to upgrade bikes for my 5 year old and soon to be 8 year old boy, the boy is on his second Islabike and they have been great and resale means I'll probably get more back than I paid, but he wants a road bike with drop bars next and there seem to be a few more options...

Good call, I am soon to be looking for a first pedal bike for my 3 year old - she is tall for her age though, so looking by the height and inside leg requirements, I think I can get away with a bike for a 5 year old - seeing as she is already about 105cm tall, and won't be getting it properly until the Spring time, so a further 7 months growing time.

Ihave been looking at BeInn 20 Small bikes, and on the website it says they weigh I think it was over 8kg - where as the Cnoc seems to be around 6kg, which seems to be a direct competitor for the Wiggins Macon, which looks pretty nice for £195, especially as there is bound to be a 10% off sale sometimes, or 2 hour slot AND I can get 10% off through BC, which would bring it down to £16o or so.

I can't quite figure out what the Beinn is meant to give over the cnoc, other than that the range goes to a larger size, there does seem to be overlap.

Ah ok, now I realise the CNOC is a single speed (!) where as the Beinn has a rear cassette.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Daniel B wrote:
    I can't quite figure out what the Beinn is meant to give over the cnoc,
    Gears
  • daniel_b
    edited August 2016
    bompington wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    I can't quite figure out what the Beinn is meant to give over the cnoc,
    Gears

Thankyou! just spotted that myself :oops:

That makes the Wiggins bike look even better value then, except it doesn't as it's also single speed :oops:
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • bigmat
    My son had a Cnoc 14 then moved to a Beinn when he was just turned 6. The Beinn has 20" wheels and is the smaller frame. He is only just growing out of it now - he'll be 8 in November and is probably around average size for his age. I wouldn't put a 3 year old on the Beinn, unless she is massive for her age - my daughter is 5 and even now I think it will probably be a bit too big for her (she is tiny for her age though).
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    Mat, daughter 2 is a tall 3 and a half year old, so the Cnoc 16 fits her well with the seat post not all of the way in the seat tube.

Another nice aspect of the design of the Cnoc is that the handlebar design allows a large reach adjustment, rotating it back on the stem clamp giving a much closer reach for wee people. As she grows I'll swivel it forwards to give more reach.

Obviously a corresponding swivelling of brake levers is needed when you do this.
  • bigmat
    Mat, daughter 2 is a tall 3 and a half year old, so the Cnoc 16 fits her well with the seat post not all of the way in the seat tube.

Another nice aspect of the design of the Cnoc is that the handlebar design allows a large reach adjustment, rotating it back on the stem clamp giving a much closer reach for wee people. As she grows I'll swivel it forwards to give more reach.

Obviously a corresponding swivelling of brake levers is needed when you do this.

That all makes sense, I was more replying to Dan B who was suggesting getting a Beinn 20 for his 3 year old. I might try the Beinn with my 5 year old, might work if I putthe saddle down / forward (and put some pink flowery stickers on it!) but otherwise I'd be looking at a Cnoc 16 or similar.
  • daniel_b
    Thanks Mat, sound advice, indeed - perhaps a single speed (Not a fixie I assume) is the best solution for a first bike with pedals.

In which case, the Wiggins is probably looing the favourite for me, as the weight seems entirely on par with what you would hope for.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • bigmat
    Daniel B wrote:
    Thanks Mat, sound advice, indeed - perhaps a single speed (Not a fixie I assume) is the best solution for a first bike with pedals.

In which case, the Wiggins is probably looing the favourite for me, as the weight seems entirely on par with what you would hope for.

I'd go single speed at that age, gears not really necessary and gripshifts (which is what you tend to get) are surprisingly difficult to shift up the cassette.

I'll be putting my son on a fixie soon, time for him to have a go on the track!
  • daniel_b
    Stroke of luck.

Took my rattly mavic wheel into my lbs to be shipped off to France, and they had a lovely looking cnoc 14 large, which seem to sell new for £280..... I think.

It's not perfect, has a few scrapes, but overall in good enough condition, especially when they only wanted £100 for it!

Felt too cheeky to ask for the 10% discount I can get through my work!

My daughter is delighted with it, I went to get her to check it fitted, and we have spent either side of dinner trying to master pedalling in the garden.
    Still a way to go though I think, but she seems very enthusiastic and was jubilant when she managed a proper push off with her right foot and coasted.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18