Safe road riding

peterthehack
peterthehack Posts: 2
edited August 2016 in Road general
On the road from a mile from my house, there is a blind crest with no central road markings and no pavement or runoff, and the road is quite narrow. I have had several nasty moments there, going both ways. I tried the trick I learned (for motorbikers) - ride just to your side of the middle of the road to discourage overtaking. One loony then overtook me, foot flat, taking up all the opposite lane. Luckily for both of us there was no-one coming. Only last week I had to dive into someone's front garden cos white van man was overtaking me and I could hear another vehicle approaching.
I've written to Highways about this, suggesting unbroken double white lines and warning triangles, but not had a substantive response yet.
On reflection of the 'ride assertively on the outside of your lane' approach, I thought maybe it was less suited to cycles cos we are going so much slower so cars less likely to stay behind. But I just read in a US cycle safety report that they do recommend this for cyclists as well.
Was thinking of a really loud horn (some claim 140+ db) but the guy in the shop I spoke to the other day said people in cars wouldn't hear even that (what with having headphones on or whatever, maybe he's right).
Obviously, I use flashing lights, high-vis clothing etc but they don't seem to have much effect.
Any ideas?

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,598
    That is 100% what you should be doing.
    If I hear traffic coming the other way then I indicate a right turn. That tends to stop them but is not 100% foolproof, and there are a lot of fools out there. Unfortunately.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I think you're doing the right thing - but you can't be responsible for idiot motorists.

Sometimes I do a bit of a wobbly ride and I think motorists give me a bit more caution.

Hopefully the council will put up double white lines but you will still get some idiots overtaking there.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    There's a blind crest on my route to work - it has double white lines in the middle - I still get cars & lorries overtaking me when I'm near the top ...
    The only thing I do is ensure I've got a bit of room to the left of me (beyond that is a steep bank upwards) so when they pull in I've got somewhere to go - but other than that just shout the normal profanities and carry on...
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Yeah, that is the trouble with taking the central position in places where it's dangerous to be overtaken - some c0ckwomble will just see it as a challenge!

Re white lines - you say the road is narrow? Not sure, but I think there is a minimum width for white lines to be placed on a road (have just tried to Google it with no success). It's interesting that whilst driving in Cornwall last year some roads had white lines for about 3 metres, then none for another stretch, then about 2 metres, then none etc, etc as the road widened and narrowed. I have always assumed that if a road is wide enough, it will have white lines as standard?