Thinking of going 1x - a couple of questions

dirkpitt74
dirkpitt74 Posts: 518
edited August 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
The cassette is getting worn on my HT and it could do with a new one - so thinking of possibly going 1x10 with a wide range cassette.

If I ditch a ring up front and go with a N/W do I need to alter the chain line at all?

I assume it's the outer ring that gets replaced with the N/W?

Is it worth going oval too?

What about re-sizing the chain? Do I still wrap it round the largest rear/front and add 2 links?

Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Double or triple crankset? Triple use the middle location double use the inner, outer gives a worse chainline.

Chain is the same as before, single/big with suspension in longest chain length height and overlap +2links.

Oval is reckoned to be worth about 1% so your call.

You may need shorter single ring chain bolts depending on the ring.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie
    So put the NW ring in the inner location so its running the bigger gears at the back on a better chainline, it's slightly better than using the outer location for the chain.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    If you can find a chainring that fits an inner bcd....
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • dirkpitt74
    dirkpitt74 Posts: 518
    So is it worth taking the drive side spacer to the non drive side of the bb?
  • The Rookie
    You can, but plenty of manufacturers do NW rings for the inner now.