Ticking/creak from BB area - at my wits end!

sharepointalex
sharepointalex Posts: 33
edited August 2016 in Workshop
Hi Guys,

I bought a Giant Rapid 1 hybrid back in April so it's not very old.

Currently being plagued by a ticking/creaking coming from the BB area. I should add I upgraded the crank to Tiagra 4700 so replaced the BB not long ago.

Here is what I've tried so far -

Removed, re-greased crank and BB and re-fitted.
Greased quick releases and dropouts
Re-tightened seat post clamp and greased
Removed pedals, tried another set, re-greased
Removed rear derailleur hangar bolt, re-greased
Checked chainring bolts and re-tightened
Had rear wheel trued and tightened spokes

None of the above has worked and the tick/creak is still there. It happens when under load and either in or out of the saddle.

Had it in a bike shop the other day and the mechanic and I tried lots of different things including a new wheel - it still happened!

They are going to try and replace the BB just in case it's faulty or the bearings are already knackered.

After that I've no idea!!

It's driving me mad and ruining my enjoyment of riding the bike.

Any help appreciated!!

Cheers

Alex

Comments

• craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    Are you CERTAIN that it is from the BB? I've had noises that I was sure are coming from the BB area in the past but it has actually been somewhere else as when you're moving on the bike the sound can travel strangely.
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    Just to add, the sound you are describing is most commonly headset/stem bolt related. I've felt like a right tool in the past realising my stem bolts were the reason for a clicking sound that I couldn't find...
  • Could it be the pedals? I have something similar on my bike, went into the shop and they said they were 99 per cent sure it was the pedals.

I didn't actually confirm as just wanted to make sure it wasn't the BB. It is annoying but I am just gonna live with it
  • Could it be the pedals? I have something similar on my bike, went into the shop and they said they were 99 per cent sure it was the pedals.

I didn't actually confirm as just wanted to make sure it wasn't the BB. It is annoying but I am just gonna live with it

sorry just reread and saw you replaced them..
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have no suggestions I'm afraid, but I share your frustration.

I have a very faint chirrup type noise once every wheel revolution, but only when I'm on the bike, not when it's on the workstand. Still happens when I freewheel so I've ruled out BB and pedals, and also think it unlikely to be saddle / post or stem / bars. Initially assumed a brake block was out of adjustment, but there's loads of clearance and it still does it if I open them still wider using the QR lever

Skewers greased and reinserted, dropouts also greased. Front bearings out, cleaned, greased and adjusted. Even tried the front wheel in back to front. May swap in the front wheel off the other bike as an experiment.

Failing that, the rear hub bearings and freehub for a good looking at next...
  • Craigus89 wrote:
    Just to add, the sound you are describing is most commonly headset/stem bolt related. I've felt like a right tool in the past realising my stem bolts were the reason for a clicking sound that I couldn't find...

Thanks - I actually read this somewhere else so amongst other things I'm going to service my headset tonight and see if that helps.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Shoes is another to checm

My left shoe creaks when its time to change my cleats. It really does sound like its coming from the bike as well.
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    Bought a new bike in July. experienced a creaking noise that wouldn't go away after only the 2nd ride. Could have sworn it was the bottom bracket. Wrong- was the back wheel. Swapped it for a different back wheel and noise has now gone. Same wheel makes same creaking noise fitted to a different bike so creaking mystery solved. Make of bike and wheel? Er, Giant..
  • Recently changed a worn pair of cleats to successfully rid myself of a new creak.
  • cremator
    cremator Posts: 99
    I had the same changed bb but found out it was my chain ring bolts where not tight
  • I had the same,clicking when out of the saddle & moving the bike to the right. Changed pedals, wheels, seat post, saddle, bottom bracket. Even changed the front chain rings, no joy. As a last resort I changed the seat post clamp although it was fairly new. Next ride - no click! Wish I'd done that in the first place. Would of saved a fortune!!
  • I had a similar creak under load which I was absolutely convinced was coming from the bottom bracket. After a huge amount of wasted effort on the bb/cranks/pedals it turned out it was coming from the front axle. Simply ensuring the axle is evenly seated in the dropout each side and then doing the skewer up really tight cured the problem. I think creaks tend to resonant through the frame so your ears can be easily misled about the source.
  • Cheers all! Believe it or not after replacing BB, servicing headset etc. in the end the creak was coming from the rear mech hanger i.e. the metal piece that attaches to the frame. Greased it and refitted the grub screws and creak gone - can't quite believe it to be honest!!

However now the creak has gone, I can now hear another noise!! - it's a sort of clicking/ticking on each pedal revolution - sort of tick, tick tick 3 times then again.

BB is fine, chainring bolts tightened, pedals greased and refitted, crank seems perfectly fine. Seems more like it's coming from the rear wheel - wondering it could be a spoke, I actually had the freehub replaced under warranty recently - could it be the new hub?!

It's annoying as just as I thought it was sorted I get another noise!!