Forking hell!

June_Rider
June_Rider Posts: 11
edited August 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a set of rockshox recon silver 100mm travel forks (poploc versions) and have only owned them for about 2-3 months.

They were all well and dandy one say, then suddenly when I went to use the bike again the forks are really soft, and I can't put more than 75psi into them, however I can push the travel to full with little effort.

However the lockout still works how it should.

Have a blown an air seal or something??
Any help is appreciated

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Where is the air you are pumping in going?

Sounds more like a faulty valve, if anything.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Where is the air you are pumping in going?

Sounds more like a faulty valve, if anything.

Honestly have no idea, it does give a big blow off after I remove the pump, so could be the valve?!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or the pump. Are you screwing it on far enough?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    June_Rider wrote:
    it does give a big blow off after I remove the pump, so could be the valve?!

Shocks whilst high pressure, are very small capacity compared to say a tyre, so if you getting a blow off when releasing the valve, you could easily be dumping 30 or more PSI, hence soft forks.

When you say you can't put more thhan 75 PSI, is that with the pump attached, or measuring after youve lost some air removing the pump?

I know on my fork, an epixon with RS pump, the pump only needs to be screwed on until you feel a tiny bit of resistance on the thread, helps you pull it off quicker with less leakage.
  • mattyfez wrote:
    June_Rider wrote:
    it does give a big blow off after I remove the pump, so could be the valve?!

Shocks whilst high pressure, are very small capacity compared to say a tyre, so if you getting a blow off when releasing the valve, you could easily be dumping 30 or more PSI, hence soft forks.

When you say you can't put more thhan 75 PSI, is that with the pump attached, or measuring after youve lost some air removing the pump?

I know on my fork, an epixon with RS pump, the pump only needs to be screwed on until you feel a tiny bit of resistance on the thread, helps you pull it off quicker with less leakage.

Thats after the pump has been taken off but the pump won't read any more aswell, I always screw the pump on pretty tight and never had a problem.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Maybe the valve is loose or shot, cheap enough to replace.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Can you deflate the forks at all so that there is no pressure in there and then pump up to at least a reasonable value just to confirm that the shock pump is actually doing something?

On the blow off when releasing the valve, I understood that that was just pressurised air in the pump hose, rather than air coming out of the fork? How would you tell if it was coming via the valve on the fork vs from the internals of the shock pump?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)