Seemingly trivial things that you love

mfin
mfin Posts: 6,729
edited August 2016 in The cake stop
Seeing someone slip in dog muck.

The combination thing of seeing them think they are falling over, then realise they have dog muck on their shoes, and best if they show some anger in the mix :)

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    People damaging expensive alloy wheels as they hit the water filled pot hole, whilst driving way too quickly through my village.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Seeing any sports fan getting upset when they see their team or person lose, it is one of the best things, a treat and it always makes me properly laugh.
  • Once upon a time, in a land far, far away, didn't we have a thread like this? Or did I dream it all?
    It faded away 'cos this place is full of curmudgeons. Me included :lol:
    Anyway, I had a siesta this afternoon. A proper, flat out, two hours kip. It was ace. I had a couple of brews and a load of biscuits when I woke up. Afternoon sleeping - you cannat whack it.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    People who walk into things whilst looking at their phones always make me laugh (unless its me they are walking into).
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I love the glug glug glug noise that a new bottle of wine makes ..... so much that sometimes it takes me ages to pour a glass, because I tip the bottle, glug glug glug, but be for the wine comes out, quickly right the bottle again, and start the pour again ... glug glug glug glug ... and stop before the wine comes out ..... start again

I also love the way the wife gets really irate about it .. "JUST POUR THE FCUKING WINE !!!"
  • That first beer after a ride.
    “Jij bent niet van suiker gemaakt”
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,366
    The smell of a two stroke engine

(pretty sure I put this on the last thread of this nature)
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Lightly poached eggs on toast
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Pouring water onto a head of broccoli and then shaking the water into my face. You get a nice distribution around the face, it's like walking through waterfall mist.

Watching a mouse in our humane trap nibbling on the chocolate we put out as bait, just before I let it go on the local field.

Opening up a file for work and seeing that it's going to be an absolute piece of p1ss and I'm going to race through it in no time.

Looking down on the beach and seeing the best fossil I've ever found right under my feet, as happened last week.

Splashing in puddles with my boys.

Son number 1 getting his vaccination and not even flinching, when every other kid has burst into tears. So proud of my brave little one.

Being tall and fit enough to be able to jump and reach the plums on the tree near my house that nobody else can reach.

Having long enough arms and legs to climb over the side of the footbridge and stretch out to get some really juicy blackberries which grow over the local stream.

Not doing any press ups for weeks, and then finding that I can still do 45-50 despite the gap.

Not doing any proper exercise for months and then finding I can still do 5 sets of high intensity intervals (running, not cycling).
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Posts like this:
    orraloon wrote:
    jawooga wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    Wood Pigeons

Cu cu... cooouw...

Bastards.
    Bang!

Thursday. Longish ride. Cafe stop for one slice of coffee cake, one slice of Chocolate cake and a Latte. Waitress was cute. Left cafe with 40 miles to go. Headed north and crossed the A75. Wind and sun on my back on perfectly smooth new tarmac (none of that cross dressing stuff), belly full of tasty sugary stuff, pedalling along at 22-25 mph effortlessly pushed along by the wind. Perfect moment.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    finchy wrote:
    Watching a mouse in our humane trap nibbling on the chocolate we put out as bait, just before I let it go on the local field.

We have one of those. They love Kit Kat.

Once I found a mouse in it. He had wriggled trying to get out of the thing so much that the trap was in the middle of the floor instead of next to the skirting. I elected to take him into the garage and let him go in amongst the wood pile. He was covered in sweat from his efforts. I emptied the trap on the work bench. He took one look at me and sensed in a way that only an animal senses, that I was not a threat so he proceeded to clean himself and then glanced at me with a very loud squeak and then cleaned some more.

I can only imagine (in an anthropomorphizing fashion) the squeak was "You b4stard".

The whole thing put a smile on my face.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    Pinno wrote:
    finchy wrote:

Once I found a mouse in it. He had wriggled trying to get out of the thing so much that the trap was in the middle of the floor instead of next to the skirting. I elected to take him into the garage and let him go in amongst the wood pile. He was covered in sweat from his efforts. I emptied the trap on the work bench. He took one look at me and sensed in a way that only an animal senses, that I was not a threat so he proceeded to clean himself and then glanced at me with a very loud squeak and then cleaned some more.

I can only imagine (in an anthropomorphizing fashion) the squeak was "You b4stard".

The whole thing put a smile on my face.

I've used the humane traps before but make sure you release the captured mouse a couple of miles away as I'm sure the first ones I caught mangled to find their way "home again".

I went in the PETA website to humanely sought an ant problem out. Unfortunately the tips failed to deter the ants and I used poison which sorted the problem but I still felt bad as they work hard to survive.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Cable ties. Can't explain it really but I get enormous pleasure tidying up cables and things with them.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • pinno
    Slowmart wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    finchy wrote:

Once...face.

I've used the humane traps before but make sure you release the captured mouse a couple of miles away as I'm sure the first ones I caught mangled to find their way "home again".

House is tight except we had a tabby cat but unfortunately she was hand reared and didn't have a clue. She used to bring baby rabbits and live things in all the time. You never knew what to expect. One particular baby rabbit - which could fit on the palm of your hand (by the time we caught it), decided to eat the only Orchid which we had successfully grown. It was just a stalk one morning. Suffice to say, it never recovered.
    Things were okay until the dog died. He used to bark at her or at whatever she brought in so we got some warning. Funniest thing was a frog. Every time he jumped, the dog would bark. Frog got repatriated to a damp patch in a nearby forest, unharmed but probably deaf.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Pinno wrote:
    Slowmart wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    finchy wrote:

Once...face.

House is tight except we had a tabby cat but unfortunately she was hand reared and didn't have a clue. She used to bring baby rabbits and live things in all the time. You never knew what to expect. One particular baby rabbit - which could fit on the palm of your hand (by the time we caught it), decided to eat the only Orchid which we had successfully grown. It was just a stalk one morning. Suffice to say, it never recovered.
    Things were okay until the dog died. He used to bark at her or at whatever she brought in so we got some warning. Funniest thing was a frog. Every time he jumped, the dog would bark. Frog got repatriated to a damp patch in a nearby forest, unharmed but probably deaf.

We rescued a beautiful moth last night. We got in late from the theatre to the cat chattering away in the kitchen, trying to get her stinky paws on an airborne supper. I'm no expert, but this moth was lovely looking and destined to be extinguished by our moggy! Better half caught it (the moth; not the cat) in a piece of Tupperware and we released it out of the kitchen window. Twice.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098

Oh, yes.

Doing a massive dump and feeling hollowed out after.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    SecretSam wrote:

Oh, yes.

Ah definitely, that one that leaves you in no doubt you got everything out.
  • pinno
    SecretSam wrote:

Oh, yes.

Do you do a 'before and after' on the weighing scales?
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    I've done this in the past and it showed no difference despite delivering a baby sized deposit! Go figure
  • pinno
    Back OT:

Kittens.
  • secretsam
    Pinno wrote:
    Back OT:

Kittens.
    I didn't go off topic. Doing a huge Richard III is an acceptable interpretation of the thread topic.

And kittens are not trivial. Nothing that cute could possibly be called "trivial"

• pinno
    SecretSam wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Back OT:

Kittens.
    I didn't go off topic. Doing a huge Richard III is an acceptable interpretation of the thread topic.

Don't disagree but I didn't want the thread to go down the exploratory road of dump idiosyncrasies and it's effects (whether physical or psychological).
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Having a plaster cast cut off and finally being able to properly scratch the b@stard limb.

First mug of tea in the morning

Realising you've got your kit choice / layering spot on

Unexpected tailwind (no, we're not back onto lavatorial content)

Ditto unexpectedly smooth tarmac.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Tashman wrote:
    I've done this in the past and it showed no difference despite delivering a baby sized deposit! Go figure

You need good scientific scales. Even a big 'un weighs a disappointingly small amount.
  • Alex99
    Finding a good use for a bit of kit that you've stashed for ages.
  • Alex99
    keef66 wrote:
    Having a plaster cast cut off and finally being able to properly scratch the b@stard limb.

First mug of tea in the morning

Realising you've got your kit choice / layering spot on

Unexpected tailwind (no, we're not back onto lavatorial content)

Ditto unexpectedly smooth tarmac.

"Realising you've got your kit choice / layering spot on"

Yes 8)
  • Alex99
    Seeing Vincenzo Nibali get annoyed
  • Alex99
    My daughter deciding that Vasil Kiryienka should henceforth be known as "Chewbacca". :? :?
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Having a dodgy tummy, thinking you're going to vomit, but in the end you only get the squits. RESULT!!! :D
  • secretsam
    finchy wrote:
    Having a dodgy tummy, thinking you're going to vomit, but in the end you only get the squits. RESULT!!! :D

That made me burst out laughing. Which was probably not something you'd want to do when suffering from the squits... :lol: