groupset upgrade

4768adrian
4768adrian Posts: 25
edited August 2016 in Road beginners
Hello all,
Looking for a little advice. Got a Specialized Roubaix with a shimano tiagra groupset, and an older specialized allez. Was going to use the allez through the winter months and was going to upgrade the groupset to a tiagra set, like the Roubaix. Have been checking and can get a Shimano 105 groupset for £50 more than the tiagra, so would it be worth getting this and putting on the Roubaix, and using the tiagra set from that bike and putting it on the Allez. Also how much would I expect to pay a bike shop to do the work? Just weighing up the worth moneywise.
Cheers Ady

Comments

• dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    When I enquired about groupset upgrades most of the shops charge the same as their top service option.
    For my shop it was £120 but most also said if I bought the groupset from them they would fit for around £80 (I upgraded from Sora to 105)
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,510
    If cables are external do it yourself and save a few quid. YouTube is all you need plus maybe some cable cutters.
  • Unfortunately on the roubaix the cables run inside the frame. I'm also not the best at this sort of thing, and also not the most patient, and prefer to pay somebody who knows what they are doing. Can also take it back if things go wrong. May have a go at doing the Allez though.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Fit all the external stuff (brakes, shifters, mechs, etc) yourself and get the lbs to fit cables and tune in.
  • Why don't you get a 105 groupset and put it on yourself?
  • First question is whether the current wheels can accept 11 speed - as you move to 105; it is 11 speed so you need to check if the wheel set you have can accept an 11 speed cassette.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I upgraded my bike from 5700 105 to 6800 Ultegra. I bought the groupset and fitted shifters, front and rear derailleurs, cassette and brakes myself and left the bike into my LBS and asked them to fit the crankset, cables and chain for me and to set everything up correctly. Was charged €75 (£60 approx.) for the work.
  • Bought a 105 5800 Groupset and new Fulcrum 5 wheelset online and had my LBS remove the nameless Shimano bits and bobs and replace them.

They charged £120 but would have fitted for free if I bought through them (though they would have charged about £300 more than I bought for)
    Road - '10 Giant Defy 3.5
    MTB - '05 Scott Yecora
    BMX - '04 Haro Nyquist R24 (don't judge me)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you decide to buy a whole groupset then be aware that the Roubaix is BB30 and you are not going to be able to fit a shimano chainset withour an adapter. As the chainset is a fair chunk of any groupsets price you should either consider buying the shifters and mechs only and not a complete set or sell on the chainset but at a loss possibly. As for the adapter you can get shells which are not a great option or a sleeve fitted into the BB but could invalidate your warranty
  • I have the same bike and did it myself recently. It is quite easy to do as long as you have the tools. Even the cable routing is easy if you get some pvc tubes off ebay.

However I don't think what you are wanting to do is worth it. Unless you are going to do the work yourself, you are probably looking at £200+ in labour (£100 per bike) and you probably won't notice any difference going to 105 (other than the extra gear). I don't think there is any point upgrading your bike to anything less than Di2 or eTap.

I would just buy the Tiagra for the Allez, plus if you do that, it means you can share parts between the bikes, like swap the wheels over if you have a problem with one set.
  • Thanks for the replies. I guess the real question should have been would I notice the difference between the Tiagra and the 105, as this would be the bike I would be using most, and as Perfectmark says I wouldn't notice much difference. Going to take a detour into LBS on my ride today to ask the price, but think I may just do the Allez upgrade