Canyon Nerve - internal cabling?

larkim
larkim Posts: 2,474
edited August 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Had cause to replace the front shifter a few weeks ago so recabled the front mech. At the time, I hadn't discovered the narrow tubes used for internal routing so just used a torch etc to get the cable through from the top hole to the bottom.

I've since discovered the technique of feeding through a tube over the old cable to assist with routing, so I now know that is the right thing to do. But I was wondering if the cables should be sheathed in a tube inside the frame as it is possible I've now got the cables rubbing on each other? The front and rear mechs cables run from either side and cross internally as far as I can tell. Does this mean they are rubbing on each other inside, and if so I presume this is "bad"? And how can I tell which cable should be on top, and which underneath, etc inside the frame?

TIA!
2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Cables crossing and lightly rubbing isnt an issue, in fact for external BB routed cables its common to do just that to improve the cable routing from shifter to downtube.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • larkim
    OK, thanks. So I shouldn't be expecting that internally there is / was some internal hosing to keep them apart, and there is no real risk from feeding the cables through that I'll change the under / over relationship between them to put them in a position where friction will cause a real wear issue? Good to know, thanks!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I don't know if the nerve has some internal cable sleeve, but I doubt it.

Two quality cables lightly rubbing aren't going to wear each other to any meaningful level.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • larkim
    Thanks.

The Canyon folder that came with the bike did include two sleeves (both longer than would be needed to route the cable internally) which is what made me wonder, after the fact (the fact being that I'd installed the new shifter / cable before I spotted the sleeves, and I watched a youtube video on how to install internal cables only after I'd pulled out the original cable, and that suggested using sleeves to route the cable which made a lot of sense, but relied on the sleeves being longer than the internal routing so you could tape them in place whilst you fed the cable through).

I'll stop fretting about the issue.