Training with a cough - bad ?

yertez
yertez Posts: 80
Hi all,

Had a cough for 4 weeks . Trip to the Alps fast approaching.
Friends have had the same cough, they reckon it's viral, can last up to 12 weeks.
Doc gave me antibiotics - not touching it.

Question is - is it a 'bad idea' to ride when ill.
Normally by this stage of prep for the trip I'd be chucking in a 50+ miler once a week, with several 20 - 30 mile sprints.

Did 20 miles and it's like driving a car a couple of cylinders down, not to mention the worried looks on people's faces as you splutter past like an extra in The Andromeda Strain.

Comments

• BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    What did the doctor say?
  • yertez
    He said carry on riding.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited August 2016
    Colds are all viral, the cough is usually a bacterial infection though can just be caused by increased mucus production.

A virus will always adversely affect your performance, moderate excercise won't slow recovery bit excessive excercise can do and can also end in you getting worse secondary bacterial infections due to reduced resistance.

I'd suggest a low intensity (but not necesarily low duration) excercise to give you the best chance of recovery before you go. Basically listen to your body. Keep the excercise going but don't end up feeling 'tired' as that will slow recovery.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Be prepared to go to the Alps and watch everyone else cycle
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Did the doctor say you could ride the Alps ???

I had something similar earlier in the year which took a good few weeks to go. Best to take it easy and let your body recover or you could risk making things worse. It is very frustrating when this kind of thing happens.
  • yertez
    @SloppySchleckonds
    I was thinking that too - at least it's in an area with great food.

Didn't mention the Alps to the doc.
    Have heard stories of others damaging themselves by exercising whilst fighting an infection.
    So thanks for the advice - will probably keep it down to a few tiddler rides until I'm better.

And just be the 'fat lad at the back' / restaurant tester on this trip if needs be.