Bearings on Novatec F482SB freehub...

munkster
munkster Posts: 819
edited August 2016 in Workshop
I swapped out bearings on one of these a couple of years ago and it was "emotional", and now I've come to the point where I need to sort them out again (different wheelset actually but same model hubs) what do people generally do when the bearings are gone on these?

Buy a complete new freehub or actually replace the bearings? I am tempted to just buy a new freehub and save myself the hassle. The ones in the hub shell itself weren't too bad to change from what I recall it's more the ones in the freehub.

Cheers.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    The pawls spring is probably tired and likely the body chewed up by the cassette... a new freehub is 30 pounds... see what makes sense for you
    left the forum March 2023
  • munkster
    Only done 4000km... Splines are a little chewed but seen worse pawls noisy but seem fine.

It's more whether people view the freehubs as disposable I guess but I think I've answered my own question.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Changing the bearings is cheaper, if you source them for 3 quid each and environmentally friendlier... surprised you went through two sets in such a short time
  • munkster
    I didn't... Different wheelset as per OP ;-)
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    I'd just replace the bearings. Try heating the freehub first and the bearings come out (and back in on replacement) very easily as the aluminium expands much more than the steel bearings. I always refill the new bearings (100% full) with (calcium sulfonate) marine grease-they last much longer. Also fill the void under the outer rubber seal with grease to keep the water out. Finally don't forget the inner bearing is held in with a circlip than needs removing.
  • munkster
    Yep, I know how to do it, it's whether it's generally accepted to be worth the hassle...

£30 as per Ugo is looking attractive as I recall the trauma of last time. Thanks all.
  • munkster
    Yep, I know how to do it

He said... :oops:

The freehub body *does* just pull off, right?? Doesn't seem to want to budge. End caps are off, seal off on freehub FWIW (although am replacing freehub) so not sure what is impeding it.

Can someone please highlight where I am being a numpty maybe??
  • ugo.santalucia
    Most likely a bearing is seized onto the axle... rusted or something...
  • munkster
    Any suggestions? Can I pop the NDS bearing out with the freehub on there or anything or shall I try a cheeky dab of WD40 or something to try and loosen things up?

Edit: (in case anyone's search has turned this up) - used a socket in the DS side of the axle to whack the NDS bearing out as above.