Ribble bike wheels upgrade

storeybook
storeybook Posts: 4
edited August 2016 in Road beginners
Im looking to buy a ribble sportive racing special edition with ultra grade group set. are the ultra grade wheels worth the upgrade. Which other bikes compare to this ribble?

Comments

• Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    the Ribble doesn't get great reviews. I have owned several Ribbles incl carbon versions. None of them have been as impressive a ride as my current Giant which cost less than £1k. With the discounts currently available elsewhere online you can get a decent branded carbon bike cheaper than your Ribble. And yes, the ultegra wheels are worth having but you can buy those separately and save money in the process.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    edited August 2016
    Duplicate
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Semantik wrote:
    the Ribble doesn't get great reviews. I have owned several Ribbles incl carbon versions. None of them have been as impressive a ride as my current Giant which cost less than £1k. With the discounts currently available elsewhere online you can get a decent branded carbon bike cheaper than your Ribble. And yes, the ultegra wheels are worth having but you can buy those separately and save money in the process.

A quick look shows it gets good reviews
  • Semantik
    Garry H wrote:
    Semantik wrote:

A quick look shows it gets good reviews

Another quick look shows it doesn't.

Quote: 'Looks good on paper but lacks the feedback and excitement of cheaper alloy framed bikes I've tested'

http://road.cc/content/review/197567-ri ... al-edition
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    This gives it 4.5 out of 5, remember a review is just one persons opinion.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... -15-49424/
    They have no doubt sold thousands of these to satisfied customers.

IME there is a lot of garbage talked about the differences in ride quality between so called high end (read expensive) and cheaper frames but that is just my opinion based on riding and owning both options.
  • Semantik
    diamonddog wrote:

IME there is a lot of garbage talked about the differences in ride quality between so called high end (read expensive) and cheaper frames but that is just my opinion based on riding and owning both options.

Except the positives in this review are all about the Dura ace groupset that this one comes fitted with-hardly surprising- whereas the frame (the part that actually matters) is what lets it down.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    I have both ally, and carbon Ribble frames, and they are both excellent value for money, and have never let me down. I would have no problem buying another one in the future.
    Having said that, I only ride a bike for my own enjoyment, so I might be wrong.
  • diamonddog
    edited August 2016
    Semantik wrote:
    diamonddog wrote:

Except the positives in this review are all about the Dura ace groupset that this one comes fitted with-hardly surprising- whereas the frame (the part that actually matters) is what lets it down.
    A firm ride does not mean the frame is a bad one the same can be said for some of the big name manufacturers, some people like a firm ride others don't (the reviewer) for me it would not be a problem again it's just an opinion.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Lol - Semantik is to Ribble what Mike Brew is to Planet X! :lol: .

I have run a Ribble Gran Fondo for five years and prob about 3500 miles. It is an excellent bike and compares well against my Look 585 which is a bike I wouldn't swap for anything else. I know which I prefer but I can still recommend the Gran Fondo at least as a great ride and great value.

To the OPs question - I found that the standard wheels offered are usually poor but the next cheapest often tend to be a very cheap upgrade for a very good wheel. Beyond that, the discount seemed less favourable.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Semantik
    Ok. Just to re-iterate my point- slightly off topic I know- Ribbles are not cr*p, I have owned 3 of them and still ride one to work. They are worthy workhorses. BUT, they are NOT the bargain buys so many people claim them to be. Because you can buy a carbon Cannondale or a Giant or a Trek etc. FOR THE SAME MONEY OR CHEAPER than the OP's proposed purchase from Ribble. And you will get a classier ride and it will be put together better. I make this point as I have made this journey of discovery myself and want others to know what they COULD be getting for their money as an alternative to a Ribble or one of those overblown 9 year old Planet X carbons.
    Only trying to help.
  • diamonddog
    The 'classier ride' you state is again just your opinion, I have one of the 'overblown' Pro Carbons (as do many thousands of other happy owners) mine is over 4 years old. I also have a Canyon Ultimate and in my opinion there is no discernible difference in the ride or the enjoyment riding them.
    I have had more niggles with the Canyon than the Pro Carbon so IME the Pro Carbon has been put together better, just my opinion.
  • Semantik
    diamonddog wrote:
    The 'classier ride' you state is again just your opinion, I have one of the 'overblown' Pro Carbons (as do many thousands of other happy owners) mine is over 4 years old. I also have a Canyon Ultimate and in my opinion there is no discernible difference in the ride or the enjoyment riding them.
    I have had more niggles with the Canyon than the Pro Carbon so IME the Pro Carbon has been put together better, just my opinion.

I guess some people are just easily pleased.

Oh, and I never mentioned Canyon. Don't rate them.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    I've got two Ribbles. The Gran Fondo is my winter bike and I love it. My experience is that they skimp on the wheelset so either buy knowing the wheels will be heavy and wont last long or try to negotiate an upgrade with Ribble.
  • diamonddog
    Semantik wrote:
    diamonddog wrote:

I guess some people are just easily pleased.

Oh, and I never mentioned Canyon. Don't rate them.
    I didn't say you mentioned Canyon but you did mention 3 other big name brands so carry on grasping at straws to confirm your prejudices. You are welcome to your opinion on Canyon or any other brand as is everyone else, I have wasted enough time on this thread so am signing off.