Vuelta Stage 1 TTT *Spoiler*

thegibdog
thegibdog Posts: 2,106
edited August 2016 in Pro race
So it looks like the Vuelta starts today with the now usual TTT. Other than it not seeming to be on a beach this year I don't have any other details, but thought there should be a spoiler thread.

Spoiler: The World's best cyclist is riding MTB at the 'Lympics tomorrow.

I'll leave it to others to comment on what's going on in Spain as Eurosport Player has broken again and since Carlton is commentating I can't be bothered to try to fix it.

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Orica on the top step currently

Got it on silent so I don't have to hear Kirby... (also watching Stranger Things which is pretty excellent)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    thegibdog wrote:
    I'm pretty sure Valverde is at the Vuelta
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    SKY 7sec down on BMC at the moment, but only 1sec behind Orica who are leaders in the clubhouse. Should be close.
  • bobmcstuff
    Movistar on the top step now
  • inseine
    Had Froome being doing a lot of work? Looked to be struggling at the end.
  • inseine
    Somehow SKY are first, Tinkoff slow.
  • inseine
    Kennaugh in leaders jersey.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,451
    Magnus sounded grumpy and fed up with Carlton on the commentary. He got stuck into a few comments!
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    inseine wrote:
    Kennaugh in leaders jersey.

Puccio I thought? But seeing reports of Pete too, so god knows.

Surprising result there, but great to see. 52 secs for Bertie in deficit already.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • RichN95.
    GC for the top contenders:

Froome
    Quintana s.t.
    Valverde s.t.
    Chaves +8s
    Yates +8s
    Kruijiswijk +28s
    Contador +52s
    Lopez +58s
  • RichN95 wrote:

Froome
    Quintana s.t.
    Valverde s.t.
    Chaves +8s
    Yates +8s
    Kruijiswijk +28s
    Contador +52s
    Lopez +58s

Contador already has a Vuelta mountain to climb.
    He's fortunate that there are so many.
    Surely Froome will fade over the course of 3 weeks, given he's had virtually no break?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95 wrote:

Froome
    Quintana s.t.
    Valverde s.t.
    Chaves +8s
    Yates +8s
    Kruijiswijk +28s
    Contador +52s
    Lopez +58s

Contador already has a Vuelta mountain to climb.
    He's fortunate that there are so many.
    Surely Froome will fade over the course of 3 weeks, given he's had virtually no break?

I'd expect him to. Wouldn't be surprised to see him losing time on a summit finish way before week 3. Looked ragged at the end there

The Bertettes TTT was shocking
  • RichN95.
    It's hard to tell. Maybe he's had a week and a half off and needs to ride into the race.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Well I for one was not expecting that result.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • bobmcstuff
    Ach shame Contador lost so much so early. Hope to see some big attacks from him later on.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Yep. Contador gone already, no one to help him in the mountains either. Chaves, Kruijswijk will be fairly content. Froome looked done at the end. Lopez unfortunate with the mechanical.
  • bobmcstuff
    Well I'm glad I put an e/w on Kruijswijk - but shame about my PTP... Needed those GC points...
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    RichN95 wrote:
    thegibdog wrote:
    I'm pretty sure Valverde is at the Vuelta
    He is, but I don't see how that relates to what I said? :)

Think I'm going to stick with highlights on ITV4.
  • I think Froome has voluntarily put in the back to bring back Konig otherwise they would have been only 4 on the finish line instead of looking dead at the end.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Pross wrote:
    Magnus sounded grumpy and fed up with Carlton on the commentary. He got stuck into a few comments!
    I turned the TV on to hear "er" - "ump" - "er" and thought just how bad ES commentary has got and they put the worst pairing on for a GT race and my comments are far more grumpy than Maggie.
    Such a waste that gets so much Mute,that every picture will tell a story. :cry::cry:
    I feel brave enough to say they are worse by far than Phil Ligget & Paul Sherwin.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • deejay wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    I turned the TV on to hear "er" - "ump" - "er" and thought just how bad ES commentary has got and they put the worst pairing on for a GT race and my comments are far more grumpy than Maggie.
    Such a waste that gets so much Mute,that every picture will tell a story. :cry::cry:
    I feel brave enough to say they are worse by far than Phil Ligget & Paul Sherwin.

I think there are better ex-pro commentators out there, but I genuinely think Maggy struggles with having to deal with the inanities that emerge from Carlton's gob