Are hydraulic brakes meant to be spongy after bleeding?

joostlobe
joostlobe Posts: 17
edited August 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Heya all.

So I've had my brake pads replaced AND my brakes bled yesterday. I own Avid Elixir 3 brakes.

The brakes feel spongy and don't full lock the wheels when pressed all the way.
The shop that bled them says this is normal after bleeding and it should rectify itself after a few weeks.

Is this legit advise or is it as dodgy as it sounds? I'm just worried is all :(

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Absolutely not. What the shop mean is "Elixir brakes are a pain to bleed and we're not very good at it, go away and get used to not being able to stop properly and we'll all live happily ever after - until you crash into something because we didn't bleed your brakes properly"

Give it back to them and tell them to do it again.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Its very common for Avid to feel spongey after bleeding actually (If the correct procedure is used by pushing the pistons back).

Look at the pads, if you see them moving to contact the disc it is that which is causing the long lever travel.

Search for 'advancing the pads', or wait for them to do it themselves (which being Avid can take a few miles or ruddy well never.....).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    Are they for real?!
    some people should stay away from bleeding syringes and dot oil, ask around and I am sure someone will suggest a good bike shop to help you out.
    I always bleed my brakes and being a huge fan of avoids once bled properly work a treat.
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Thanks all for the advice. I'll be taking it for a careful spin tomorrow and see what happens. I'll go back on Monday if no resolved :(
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    No. The rear may be a little bit softer than the front due to the longer hose.

Avids, Formula, the later shimano and other brakes that need syringes to bleed are a right pain to get all the air out.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    What the others said. I'm a shop mechanic and they should not be spongy - take them back!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Are the brakes spongy or is it just that you haven't bedded the new pads in?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The Rookie
    ADVANCE THE PADS.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Rookie wrote:
    ADVANCE THE PADS.....

Do this and then tell the mechanic at the shop he's done half a job.
  • The Rookie
    Agreed depending on whether the bike was ridden out or taken out with wheels off into a car.