Buying online - sent wrong bike spec...experiences?

Harborne101
Harborne101 Posts: 3
edited August 2016 in MTB buying advice
Has anyone bought a bike online and received the wrong bike or altered spec?

I totally accepted the risks associated with purchasing bikes online as opposed to your LBS and was prepared for some issues.

I recently picked up a canyon nerve 7.0 in the sale and it was delivered after just a week :D , however, as soon as we opened the box we could see the bike wasn't the same as the one ordered. For a start it's not the same colour (call me fickle but looks are important) and the spec differed from the one Canyon advertised. No through Axle, different forks. We've obviously gone back to canyon (and screenshotted the product pages-I heard they change regularly), but we're now in the long waiting list for a response.

In the meantime, I wondered if anyone else had any similar experiences (either with canyon or other online only bike retailers).

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Distance selling regulations apply (part of the consumer contracts regulations now) so you can reject it for any reason you like, clearly they failed on the description of goods (or services) they were to supply. Colour wouldn't bother me, but a lack of through axle and presumably downgraded forks would!

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/ ... egulations
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Distance selling regulations apply (part of the consumer contracts regulations now) so you can reject it for any reason you like, clearly they failed on the description of goods (or services) they were to supply. Colour wouldn't bother me, but a lack of through axle and presumably downgraded forks would!

Thanks, Canyon have promised full refund, replacement or compensation (preferring the latter option) but have been very slow to respond. Received two promises of an update this week but nothing has materialised. They can't seem to know what to do about the forks.

Have the feeling that they're overrun and are run a very badly organised customer service operation.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I personally wouldn't accept the downgraded forks. A through axle would be essential for me.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yep, agree, just send it back and let them send the right one, or take the refund.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools