Sram Freehub

iwilldoit
iwilldoit Posts: 710
edited August 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All.

Bought some Mavic Cross Ride wheels and they have a Sram XD freehub fitted, how do you remove the freehub off the hub ?

If I used the Sram freehub and Sram cassette would it work ok with a Shimano rear mech, I want to use the wheels as a spare set of wheels for my sons bike so he can have a dry set up and a wet set up for his racing, so I want them to drop in and not be fiddling adjusting mechs etc

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can of course use a SRAM XD hub with a SRAM cassette and a Shimano rear mech, many people do it, the cassettes have the same standard gear separation.

Mavic tell you all
    http://www.mavic.com/sites/default/file ... FTSX_0.pdf
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • iwilldoit
    The Rookie wrote:
    You can of course use a SRAM XD hub with a SRAM cassette and a Shimano rear mech, many people do it, the cassettes have the same standard gear separation.

Mavic tell you all
    http://www.mavic.com/sites/default/file ... FTSX_0.pdf

Cheers for the info Rookie is the Sram cassette a special one for the XD free hub or do al the cassettes fit on it ?
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Only SRAM cassettes will fit the XD driver.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • iwilldoit
    ilovedirt wrote:

Is that all Sram cassettes fit or do Sram do one for the XD driver, need a 9 speed for my sons bike.
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    ilovedirt wrote:

More accurately, only XD cassettes will fit the XD freehub... SRAM make plenty of non-XD cassettes which will fit standard freehubs. Other manufacturers are beginning to produce XD compatible cassettes (at a cost...)

The XD driver (freehub) was designed specifically to allow a 10 tooth smallest sprocket size rather than the normal 11 tooth found on standard freehubs, which enables them to create a bigger gear range on 1x drivetrains. I'm not 100% but I think the XD cassettes are 11 and 12 speed.

There is no problem at all using a Shimano mech with a SRAM cassette as Rookie rightly says. As to whether or not it's compatible with what you're wanting to do - swapping wheels with no messing about with the mech will depend on a few things but number of gears being one of the obvious issues.

As a separate issue to bear in mind, if it's a different hub (irrelevant of gears) then you may well find that the disc is in a slightly different location relative to the calliper so the brakes may need some adjustment/fettling/bedding in too.

Edit - crossed posts... If it's 9 speed, I think you'll need to have a look at getting a standard freehub and swapping the XD one out. Then you can use any 9 speed cassette.
  • iwilldoit
    Horton wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:

More accurately, only XD cassettes will fit the XD freehub... SRAM make plenty of non-XD cassettes which will fit standard freehubs. Other manufacturers are beginning to produce XD compatible cassettes (at a cost...)

The XD driver (freehub) was designed specifically to allow a 10 tooth smallest sprocket size rather than the normal 11 tooth found on standard freehubs, which enables them to create a bigger gear range on 1x drivetrains. I'm not 100% but I think the XD cassettes are 11 and 12 speed.

There is no problem at all using a Shimano mech with a SRAM cassette as Rookie rightly says. As to whether or not it's compatible with what you're wanting to do - swapping wheels with no messing about with the mech will depend on a few things but number of gears being one of the obvious issues.

As a separate issue to bear in mind, if it's a different hub (irrelevant of gears) then you may well find that the disc is in a slightly different location relative to the calliper so the brakes may need some adjustment/fettling/bedding in too.

Edit - crossed posts... If it's 9 speed, I think you'll need to have a look at getting a standard freehub and swapping the XD one out. Then you can use any 9 speed cassette.

Thank you for the info, I thought I might have to go with std freehub, just got to work out how to get the XD off now :D
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Erm, as per the link to the Mavic instructions posted.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • iwilldoit
    The Rookie wrote:
    Erm, as per the link to the Mavic instructions posted.

Yes sorry Rookie it was getting the spindle out which I've just done and the freehub practically fell off then, something I thought a little strange on the disc side, one nice smooth shiny washer/spacer and one rather rough looking one, the fella I had the wheels off mentioned that the rear wheel was stiff at times, by this he said that the pedals sometime carried on going like a fixed wheel ( As I was thinking I would need to replacing the freehub I wasn't that worried but the XD freehub is a free as a free thing)

Anyone know if the rough washer should be I there ?

20160821_160707_zpsypnhmkzk.jpg