Gear Question

myideal
myideal Posts: 231
edited August 2016 in Road beginners
Hi,

Loving my new bike, however I've noticed when it goes into the low gears (bottom 3) it makes more if a noise when I'm peddling, than the rest of the gears, which all seem near enough silent.

Now am I being stupid and should expect this noise more from the smaller gears as I peddle, or does this need me to make some small tweak to the gear tension?

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Excuse the flippancy but wouldn't it have been quicker to adjust it and see what happens rather than post this to ask?

My money's on a tweak to the tension.
  • myideal
    Thought about that ...but then thought that safer to ask than act in haste and make a right cock up. :)
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    True, but all you can do is make it a bit worse so you reverse whatever you did and make it better. It's only a bike. :)
  • Do you have more than 1 chain ring and if you do which one were you using with the 3 biggest sprockets?
  • myideal
    That's a fair point.

It seems to happen when im on the big one at the front and those smallest 3 at the rear.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    myideal wrote:
    That's a fair point.

It seems to happen when im on the big one at the front and those smallest 3 at the rear.
    It might be that one of your limit screws needs adjusting as it sounds like the chain is rubbing against the front derailleur, but you should not cross chain, i.e. definitely not go into big chain ring at front and biggest sprocket at back.