Rattly Mavic Exalith wheel :-( (Now repaired) :-)

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,576
edited December 2016 in Road general
It's back, have added a new post.....

Hi Guys,

my not very much used Mavic wheels have started to cause me concern.

I can't have covered more than 1000 miles on this bike really, and it's pretty much all been in the dry.

Went for a ride on Saturday, just a 35, and got the bike out this morning to see about washing it, and noticed a rattle coming from the front wheel - there is no valve screw thing, so not that, and the spokes all seemed fine, but a definite rattle.
Next I noticed that the wheel moves left and right between the brake blocks, only a few mm, but noticable, compared to the rear.
I checked the QR, which was tight anyway, but knocked it up a tad tighter, but still the same.

I have yet to examine the front drop outs, but it would seem to be a wheel issue no?

I have to be honest, dabbling with wheels and hubs is not something I have done a lot of, and these are less than two years old, and have only been in service for a year - plus they have led a very charmed life, the bike lives in the diningroom.

I understand Mavic wheels have a 2 year warranty, and I bought these from Royles 22 months ago, do you think I should contact them in the first instance, or is this a diy task......?
I'm bemused as to why it might need new bearings (?) after such little mileage.

EDIT: Damn, have just noticed that Royles appear to be permanently closed :?

28635012356_03af3ae6b2_b.jpgIMG_20160731_083323_resized_20160731_083416055 by Daniel 2009, on Flickr
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Cones could need tightening slightly (if they have them?!)
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,622
    RTFM. Mavic hubs have a simple bearing pre-load. Dig out the odd shaped tool that came with the wheels to adjust them. I would guess all you need is to tighten the end caps very slightly. They aren't locked in any way and so are prone to coming loose.

242137770010.png

Either that or you've worn out the bearings, which isn't a warrantee issue anyway. In that case, would be easiest to take to a LBS and have them replaced.
  • daniel_b
    Thankyou very much, I do indeed have those strange tools, 2 of them in fact, but never read the manual.

I will take a look now.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,520
    as above use the tool to adjust the preload

you can do it with the wheels mounted and qrs done up, just tighten until the point at which the play vanishes, the transition is quite fine

check it every now and then and adjust as necessary
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • daniel_b
    sungod wrote:
    as above use the tool to adjust the preload

you can do it with the wheels mounted and qrs done up, just tighten until the point at which the play vanishes, the transition is quite fine

check it every now and then and adjust as necessary

Wonderful, I now know it's use, and the issue is gone :-)

Thankyou kindly!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • RTFM.

:lol::lol::lol:
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • DAZZ_A
    DAZZ_A Posts: 74
    I need one of these spanners, where can I get one from?
  • daniel_b
    DAZZ_A wrote:
    I need one of these spanners, where can I get one from?

Available on ebay - seems a bit pricey though.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-OF-MAVIC-BICYCLE-TYRE-LEVERS-NIPPLE-SPOKE-TOOL-NEW-FREE-P-P-/262548267605?hash=item3d2118a255:g:eNMAAOSwTZ1XmJ-d
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • DAZZ_A
    DAZZ_A Posts: 74
    Cheers man, glad you fixed your issue
  • daniel_b
    Hi all, the problem has come back, and it isn't something it seems that the tool can fix.

Pretty sure I have ruled out the valve or cap causing the rattle, and also not the qr.

I have removed the wheel, and basically when I tap the rim with my hand there is a rattle.
    It seems like it is coming from the top of the wheel, but I can feel no loose spokes or nipples, fnaar.

The rattle is very noticable when riding over rough ground, so I have decided not to ride with it as is, in case it damages the wheel.
    The wheel still seems straight and true.

I'm not convinced I want to start tinkering with, what to me at least, is an expensive pair of wheels. I assume the front wheel will have identical tensions across the whole wheel, where as the rear has some carbon spokes and differing tensions on the drive side, so hopefully this will be a stock wheel setup that any LBS can look at - if it was the rear I guess I would need to find a Mavic dealer, which I am not sure my LBS is.

Any suggestions gratefully received!!!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Are you using Mavic inner tubes with the black valve stem?
  • daniel_b
    Are you using Mavic inner tubes with the black valve stem?

Aye, just on the front, which is the original, rear has continental, but it's been in this config for about 14 months.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    I'd be inclined to take the tyre and inner tube off and put some tape around the base of the valve stem.

While you're at it, you could check for any debris floating around the inside of the rim, which could get in via the valve hole.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I use these RRP Valveguard on my deep carbon rims. They rattled without, but never have since 8) :
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/rapidracerprodu ... 60754124uk
    Cheap and effective...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • daniel_b
    Thanks both, tyre and tube out it is then, will have a looksee after work tomorrow.

Guess you need to eliminate the simple things first....
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Luv2ride wrote:
    I use these RRP Valveguard on my deep carbon rims. They rattled without, but never have since 8) :
    Cheap and effective...

Electrical tape does the same thing but costs far less.
  • trailflow wrote:
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Cheap and effective...

Have you tried them? I've been using tape on valves for ages but these do a far better job. Bought some at the start of the year and that's the tape binned. They also make the wheels look cleaner.
  • daniel_b
    trailflow wrote:
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Cheap and effective...

Have you tried them? I've been using tape on valves for ages but these do a far better job. Bought some at the start of the year and that's the tape binned. They also make the wheels look cleaner.

I'm assuming you need to change these whenever you change a tube?
    What are the strange shape ones on the left for?
    3652-8351-thickbox.jpg?w=430&h=430&a=7
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Daniel B wrote:
    trailflow wrote:
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Cheap and effective...

I'm assuming you need to change these whenever you change a tube?
    What are the strange shape ones on the left for?
    3652-8351-thickbox.jpg?w=430&h=430&a=7

Nope - they stay on VERY firmly. The hole is much smaller than the valve so you have to tug it down to the rim and when you change a tube (or a tub in my case) you just pop the valve through the hole again and off you ride rattle free. One issue you might have on your Mavics - and I have it too on my RSYS SLRS - due to the way the rim is shaped round the spoke areas and the valve these pads won't be flush - so it's old-school electrical tape for you I'm afraid. I only use them on my carbon rims.

No idea what those extra bits are for. I though they might be frae protectors.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311

Nope. I couldn't bring myself to pay £3.99 for something i can buy for less than 1p
    also i just dont see how they do a better job.
    Just another overpriced pointless cycling accessory IMO
    electrical tape is also more aerodynamic :wink:
  • daniel_b
    Update - I took the tyre and tube out today, and the quick release.

There is no rim tape, as it's designed like that.

The rattle is still there :evil:

So sadly none of those are the culprits, and it does sound like it is something loose in the rim area, but doesn't seem to be a spoke, but of course it could be I suppose, I'm no wheelbuilder.

As Royles no longer exist, I will have to e-mail Mavic (If I can find an address) and see what they suggest, as it is still under warranty.

Will be severely disappointed if I have to shell out for a repair on this after such low mileage.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    If you think there is debris in the rim cavity (could be swarf), put the valve hole at six o'clock and have a look to see if there is anything visible, it may fall out.
  • daniel_b
    6wheels wrote:
    If you think there is debris in the rim cavity (could be swarf), put the valve hole at six o'clock and have a look to see if there is anything visible, it may fall out.

Thanks for the suggestions, I have had a good look, and tipped the wheel this way and that, and indeed the rattle does seem to be coming from at least the proximity of the valve hole, but nothing is moving enough to drop out.

Mailed Mavic last night, hoping for a reply by the weekend, not sure if that is expecting too much....

EDIT: Looks like Royles are still trading to some degree, but now owned by Trek - have just whizzed them an e-mail off too.
    EDIT: Both mail addresses bounced - will try and call them later.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    I've had this a few times with different brands. It's always been a little swarf and sometimes takes some patience to get out. Usually repeatedly tapping the wheel for a few minutes on something hard (a hard mouse mat or plastic chopping board so not to damage the rim - not concrete or the garage floor!) with the valve hole down works, sometimes using a pair of tweezers to pull it out once the offending item appears at the hole.

I'd imagine any Mavic dealershop will help in dealing with Mavic or even sorting it for you - it shouldn't need to be the place you bought them for a warranty issue.

If you can't sort it the Mavic service centre will one way or another, but you may need to pay to get it to them.

Do you have these contacts...

gbcustomer.servcies@mavic.com , call on 01276 404870.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Cyclestore in Congelton do a lot of Mavic stuff, you could try them...

PP
  • daniel_b
    Thanks for the replies chaps - I did thate e-mail address and one other, I had a reply yesterday which suggested I try my local shop, which I had already done coincidentally, and they have said to bring it in and they will see what they can do.

Unfortunately I cannot find the receipt, and have no e-mail confirmation, as due to a website error I had to buy over the phone, so am hoping the e-mail with the offer on, combined with a credit card statement showing the payment amount will suffice, but if not then not a lot I can do but to pay.

I did have a good look, shake of the wheel yesterday, but nothing is budging, or falling out.

Oh and I did also ring what used to be Royles, but they said Royles specifically did go into administration, and they do not hold any of the records from the original business.

I will bore you with an update at some point.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    Wheel will be winging it's way to France next week, just need to wait for my credit card statement reprint to come through from first direct now.
    One good thing is that I stumbled on a £100 bargain Islabike whilst I was there, for my daughter.
    Every cloud and all that.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    Just to update this - it did take a fair while, looks like the wheel got sent back with no work done on it, but then I chased and it was sent back again, and this time they relaced the hub and spokes to a new rim, so I am back in business with a fully working, and non rattling wheel - not that it will get to go out now until the spring of course.

And they didn't even charge me for the courier they said they would do, so i will have to drop them in some sustenance at the weekend I reckon as a thankyou.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18