Roadside at the Vuelta

Mac9
Mac9 Posts: 134
edited August 2016 in Pro race
Anyone on here been to a stage of la Vuelta? I'll be in Benidorm for the penultimate stage but I'm struggling to find route details within the town itself (ie exactly where it starts).

Stage 20 goes inland and then turns back before a mountain top finish at an airforce base.

Is there a caravan like the TDF? I've never been to a stage start before; what's access like around the team buses? I'll have to get there early I presume before the crowds to see any riders up close.

Any advice/experiences welcome!

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    edited August 2016
    We went last year to one of the stage finishes at one of the early stages, and it was excellent, and very relaxed.

So sorry no info on a stage start.

We rocked up probably 2 hours before they were due in, and there was a caravan of sorts, though not as large as the TDF one, also a big screen put up, and plenty of stuff for kids to do as well.

We were just past the finish, and my little girl, then only 2, managed to get given a bottle by one of the Lotto Soudal riders which was very nice - this year she did even better at Le Tour and a Cannondale rider stopped to pass her his team coloured bottle - but this time it was a Camelbak Podium :-)

We then wondered around where the team buses were parked, some were cordoned off a bit, others were out in full view.

At both races we saw Quintana, Froome, Thomas, and this year also Cavendish, plus loads of others you would recognise.

Enjoy, it's a great day.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Went to two stages last year, stood on the final climb of the Murcia stage then went to see them roll out the next day in Torrevieja.

Very "relaxed" approach on the Murcia stage, most people seemed to turn up about an hour before the race arrived and it was busy but plenty of space to choose from roadside. And there wasn't much in the way of a publicity caravan etc.

The roll out was more organised, with a few publicity stands and things to do near the rider presentation area. I took my young kids and they enjoyed it.

Velorooms usually has a copy of the road book to download once it's available, so you can check the exact route and expected times they'll depart and arrive etc etc
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    Roadbook should have details although I haven't checked

http://velorooms.com/index.php?topic=2384.msg2217903#msg2217903
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    Mechanism,
    Thanks for the link to the roadbook. I am lucky enough to be staying minutes away from the start of stage 5 from Viveiro. I an surprised to see its a 1-30pm start or have a missread?
  • Mac9
    Mac9 Posts: 134
    Thanks very much for that link to the road book, that's exactly the information I needed!
  • bobinski wrote:
    Mechanism,
    Thanks for the link to the roadbook. I am lucky enough to be staying minutes away from the start of stage 5 from Viveiro. I an surprised to see its a 1-30pm start or have a missread?

It's Spain! Late starts are obligatory
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    1.30 is basically first thing in the morning for them. Just post-siesta...