Rio Olympics - Road Race *running & swimming*

FocusZing
FocusZing Posts: 4,373
edited September 2016 in Pro race
RIO_TriathlonCourseMap_May2416.png

rio-olympics-2016-adam-peaty-eases-into-100m-breaststroke-final-68c426594fd3760cf6a3e822aef4bb70.jpg

37339D9400000578-3740593-image-m-2_1471215383898.jpg

Froome-1-e1468625956771.jpg

Comments

• A lot of thought has gone into that running course...
    “Jij bent niet van suiker gemaakt”
  • Post of the Olympics :lol:
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Well played OP! Good course for the Brownlees. No wet suits needed due to water temperature so their advantage in the swim should be more pronounced and the lumpy bike course suits them too. Hopefully a double medal again.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Hat
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Looking forward to this
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    Even though I am passionately rooting for both of them I feel someone needs to refer the OP to The Rules

Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
    If it’s preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run, it is not called a bike race, it is called duathlon or a triathlon. Neither of which is a bike race. Also keep in mind that one should only swim in order to prevent drowning, and should only run if being chased. And even then, one should only run fast enough to prevent capture.

;)
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    MadridWCS-Brownlees-credit-Delly-Carr-ITU.jpg

Come on lads!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,508
    They're now swimming
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Excellent first post, but I feel you missed a trick by not using Mr. Porte instead of Mr. Peaty

6d9a370d2316af93d6901c9e5dfc8997?width=650
  • TheBigBean
    And on to the bikes.
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    Froome still not out of the water from what I can see.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Front group: Yates brothers, Sagan, Matthews, Impey, Bardet, Talansky, Van Avermaet, Nibali, Cancellara. Valverde leading the chase group.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,549
    Rominger has crashed
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • RichN95.
    Their pedalling seems a lot more frantic than proper cyclists. I guess they need to use higher cadences so as not effect the run.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,549
    Lots more upper body movement as well....and a far more upright position for most
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • philwint
    The boys seem to be doing more that their fair share in the wind
  • graeme_s-2
    philwint wrote:
    If you're the best runner(s) in the group then I guess that's going to make others a bit reluctant to work with you
  • TheBigBean
    Graeme_S wrote:
    philwint wrote:
    If you're the best runner(s) in the group then I guess that's going to make others a bit reluctant to work with you

If you're the best runner in the race though presumably you don't need to do any work.
  • RichN95.
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Graeme_S wrote:
    philwint wrote:

If you're the best runner in the race though presumably you don't need to do any work.
    Best runner in the group - not necessarily the best in the race. Good runners like Mola in group two that they want to eliminate.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    What happens if there is a mechanical or puncture? Is there any neutral service?
  • philwint
    I don't watch enough tri's to understand all the tactics so:

With only 10 in the group and them doing most of the work, there must be an option for the two of them to try to go off the front? Does that sort of thing happen, or does it kill you too much for the run?

[edit] And what sort of gap at the end of the bike bit is unrecoverable in the run?
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    They don't need to drop the rest of that group, they should be able to outrun any of them, and there is certainly no one in the second group who could bridge this gap.
  • RichN95.
    What happens if there is a mechanical or puncture? Is there any neutral service?
    There's just been a crash behind and it doesn't look like any help is forthcoming
  • graeme_s-2
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Graeme_S wrote:
    philwint wrote:

There are guys who are as good as them (can be better on their day) in the group behind them. Makes sense for the other guys in that group to make the Brownlees work.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    They look weird riding road bikes.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • philwint
    All I really know about triathlon is that my mate once got a penalty for "Exposing himself in the transition area".

I always found that very amusing :D

[edit] this does look tough though!
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    God I can only imagine the pain and heaviness of their legs in this run.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • TheBigBean
    Looking like a Brownlee 1-2.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    They look weird riding road bikes.

Their riding style, or that they aren't on time trial bikes?

Or both ?!?!?!