Through axle lever will not tighten

BD1993
BD1993 Posts: 38
edited August 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Having placed my front wheel back on my back I slid the through axle back on and went to tighten the lever but there's no resistance when I turn the lever, I ignored it for a few minutes and started to cycle along, realising that the lever was then swinging and clipping my frame as I cycled. I've fiddled around for a while and the lever just won't seem to tighten. Im riding a 2017 whyte 901.

Please advise, Ben.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bang it in a bit then screw it up.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    what sort of axle?
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    You did remember to turn the axle to screw up and then press the lever towards the fork?

If it's the 15mm through Maxle type, you can tighten up the resistance of the lever with a 2.5mm Allen key in the end you'll hear the clicks as you turn the Allen key.

Just do it a little at a time.
  • BD1993
    Swod1 - The through axle itself is absolutely stable and screwed in as it should be. It's the external lever which is the problem, no matter what direction I turn it to tighten it won't. It's just hanging there
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • BD1993
    Invaluable youtube link there, thanks a lot!
  • That video had exactly the answer I was looking for! Thanks!