Beginners guide to cycling in Majorca !

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
edited August 2016 in Road beginners
Really want to do this - but don't really know where to start - any advice welcome.

My main concern is fitness - I've never been the greatest cyclist - and a 15 mph average is fast for me. I generally go out and do between 35 - 45 miles

I would like to take my own bike .....and my non cycling wife would like to come for a spot of sunbathing !!

Comments

• kingrollo wrote:
    Really want to do this - but don't really know where to start - any advice welcome.

My main concern is fitness - I've never been the greatest cyclist - and a 15 mph average is fast for me. I generally go out and do between 35 - 45 miles

I would like to take my own bike .....and my non cycling wife would like to come for a spot of sunbathing !!

Don't worry about fitness at all. I went there having had all of three weeks prior road biking experience and still had a great time. Same as you would at home you tailor your routes to your fitness level, there's plenty of flat roads as well as hills.

For first time cycling in Mallorca I would recommend booking somewhere in Port de Pollenca, there are many bike hire shops there (google them!) just make sure you book well in advance as they can get booked out quickly.

Port de Pollenca is a good base as you have the fantastic ride to Cap de Formentor right on your doorstep, flat rides down the coast or up to the Puig Major if you fancy a challenge. It's also one of the nicest resorts on the island with long sandy beaches, restaurants and awesome views.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    kingrollo wrote:

Don't worry about fitness at all. I went there having had all of three weeks prior road biking experience and still had a great time. Same as you would at home you tailor your routes to your fitness level, there's plenty of flat roads as well as hills.

For first time cycling in Mallorca I would recommend booking somewhere in Port de Pollenca, there are many bike hire shops there (google them!) just make sure you book well in advance as they can get booked out quickly.

Port de Pollenca is a good base as you have the fantastic ride to Cap de Formentor right on your doorstep, flat rides down the coast or up to the Puig Major if you fancy a challenge. It's also one of the nicest resorts on the island with long sandy beaches, restaurants and awesome views.

I would want to go on organised rides though - Navigation isn't my strong point - and the riding on the wrong side of the road malarkey as well.....
  • kingrollo wrote:
    I would want to go on organised rides though

These seemed to be popular whenever I've been there http://www.huerzeler.com/en
    - Navigation isn't my strong point - and the riding on the wrong side of the road malarkey as well.....

Navigating your own route is the best part! Wrong side of the road isn't much to worry about it's actually easier to get used to on a bike since you're naturally further over to the right anyway that is in a car where it's easier to get wrong.