Domane BB90 bearings - size & fit

bsharp77
bsharp77 Posts: 533
edited August 2016 in Workshop
Morning everyone,

Was getting a horrible creak overtime i put pressure on the pedals, so ordered up a couple of 2437 bearings to replace in my Domane and just had a go this morning.
One bearing was knackered, nearly fell out of the frame. Other was fine, but replaced anyway.

How tight should the bearings be?
I was able to pull them out and push the new ones in with my fingers....which didn't exactly inspire confidence!

All put back together, and its still creaking like mad as soon as you put any sort of pressure on the pedals.

Would it be a case of getting bearings perhaps 1-2mm bigger and pressing them in, or is there a better solution to make sure the creaking doesn't come back - its a real annoyance while in the middle of a big ride!

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Certain Trek frames have slightly oversized bottom bracket bearing sockets.
    SPECIAL KIT FOR TREK BB90/95 FRAMES THAT HAVE "OVERSIZED" BEARING SOCKETS (Standard bearings fit too loosely). THE OUTSIDE DIAMETER OF THESE BEARINGS IS SLIGHTLY LARGER TO COMPENSATE FOR OVERSIZED BB BEARING SOCKETS.
    http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id273.html
  • bsharp77
    Thanks for that.
    I have ordered a couple of oversized bearings from Whych Bearings - hopefully this will stop the creaking! :?
  • bsharp77
    Bearings just pressed in - and.......still creaking like crazy! :evil: :evil: :evil:

The creak is directly related to the pedal force - if I soft pedal, then silence.
    If I'm going up a hill....sounds like a lawnmower!

Ive greased pedals, dropouts, anything else that looks to have a contact point down around there.

Any other ideas what I could try before I go completely mad?!
  • Standing or sitting? check chainring bolts if only when standing. If both, check seat clamp and rails of seat and chainring bolts.