Should I carry tube or puncture kit?

2»

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    japiers wrote:
    Have reconciled myself with carrying a small saddle bag with tube, tyre levers, repair kit and multitool with chain tool.
    And then carry another tube, pump, cash, keys and phone in jersey pocket
    Why would you have to reconcile yourself to carrying that stuff? Just having a problem 20 miles from home should convince you of the reason you do it.
  • I put all of the puncture repair stuff plus some tools and other bits and pieces in a drink bottle and put it into one of my bottle holders on the bike. It means that what I have to put in my back pocket is not as bulky. It does mean sacrificing one of my two bottles, but on short to medium length rides that is not a problem. I don't like using saddle bag carriers, even really small ones, as I think it spoils the clean lines of the bike. I know that sounds a bit OCD, but that's just me. As for frame mounted mini-pumps, don't get me started!
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    My road bike is a CX bike, the racing Ralph's are light fast but fragile. But to be honest not needed more than a pump and a spare inner tube. They are easy to get on/off the rim so no levers needed.

To be honest I take the bare min, or tools end up sitting in rust in saddle bags unused.

I've split tyres before but both times where substantial and way behond I'd trust a boot for. And in 30 years I've snapped one chain etc
  • *Dusty*
    *Dusty* Posts: 35
    1 tube, 3 schwalbe levers, patches and repair kit, multitool, space blanket and a few small plasters with one large adhesive dressing, 2 pairs nitrile gloves (1 for bike, one for me if I have an off!), chain breaker and a spare link, some coins and a £20 note. All in a saddle bag. House keys go in there too if I'm bringing them. Last but not least, a few cable ties.

In jersey pocket, rain coat, pump, mobile, wallet and a flapjack or whatever.

And yes, I've had to use all the parts at some point, either on the roadie or on the mtb.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,149
    I use a 500ml tool bottle which contains:
    2 Conti supersonic inner tubes (which are tiny)
    3 patches
    2 Co2 cannisters wrapped in gaffer tape (which stops them freezing your hand and can act as a tyre boot)
    A Bontrager regulator Co2 head, which allows you to deploy the Co2 gently so you don't waste it and can potentially fix more than one puncture per cartridge
    Topeak Hexus multitool, containing tyre levers and chain splitter
    Spare chain quick link
    Couple of zip ties
    Couple of High5 zero drinks tabs

As it's in a tool bottle, its really easy to transfer from bike to bike. You can get larger sized ones if you would prefer a mini pump or to fit standard inner tubes; I have an 800ml one containing a spanner for my fixie. Subjectively better looking than a saddlebag, but unquestionably more waterproof. Obviously you lose a bottle cage doing this which I make up for by using an Elite Maxicorsa 1 litre bottle. If I'm going more than 70 odd miles in the heat, then I'll stop off and get some water and use the High5 tabs. In many places I ride past there are outside drinking water taps so you don't even need to pay for it (not that it's expensive if you do!).
  • supers
    supers Posts: 33
    Leavers
    2 CO2 canisters and head
    Tube
    Adhesive pads and glue
    Phone
    Bank card for the drive thru

Get some puncture resistant tyres, unless you are racing.
    Had one puncture on my MTB in the last 3 years and none on my road for 1000 miles I've done.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Vitoria pit stop and a cracked screen iPhone 4 covered in sniper tape. And that's it.

I used to carry a small Neurofen bag (size of a back pocket) with a shed load of stuff in it but left it behind the pillar drill one day and although I look at it every time I go in the workshop I never pick it up.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mac9091
    mac9091 Posts: 196
    Smudgerii wrote:
    I just take my phone, card, cash and inhaler.

LOL, same as me I'd imagine my lungs will pack in before my tyres.

Na depending on the distance away from my house determines what i take. Short 1-2 hour loop (8 mile furthest away from home, but also close to a mates :) ) i just take the one tube, levers and pump.

Anything else its the full bag; Tube, cables, chain tool, chain link, multitool, allen keys, puncture repair kit, tyre levers, multi spanner and a spare pair of socks. Rather than carry two tubes, if i puncture i'll change and repair then crack on with the ride.

All rides: phone, id, bank card and inhaler.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    joe2008 wrote:
    Tufo Extreme and a valve core remover.
    Good stuff, that sealant. Has its limits though.
  • Jayme
    Jayme Posts: 48
    I have 2 tubes, a puncture repair kit, mini pump, and a set of allen keys. All but the mini pump is in my saddle bag. Mini pump is either in my backpack if on the way to work or shirt pocket if out on a ride.
  • I carry both - couldn't be bothered to patch up a puncture road side unless it was an absolute necessity, so I'd rather have a couple of spare inner tubes and r epair kit as back up (takes up no room really). Also pump, allen keys and a chain tool. Worth grabbing some of those free plastic gloves from a petrol station too - handy for if something goes wrong with your chain or it jumps. Saves getting your hands black.
  • Spare tube plus patch kit in case of failure of the spare tube. Had a rear puncture last week, changed it and headed straight home and I was lucky because when checked my bike the next day the tyre was completely flat, so I reckon any further distance than straight home would have seen me with a second flat.