Surrey League Road Race 3rds -RedHill CC -Aug 14th

Toks
Toks Posts: 1,143
edited September 2016 in Amateur race
Aww fcuk, lap one and I’m exactly where I don’t wanna be. Dead last – playing silly buggers at the back of a 59-man conga line. Its only been about 15 minutes into the race, my tongues out gurning-style and I’m dancing to a different beat to the rest of the bunch. Their cruising and I’m gasping! So there’s none of your marginal gains Wiggins, Trott, Rio, Gold Medal marlarkey around here mate - this is life at the bottom of the competitive cycling pyramid

Yes indeed - the wonderful world of amateur 3rd cat Road Racing. Here we go tapping along at a comfortable 23/24 mph. What could go wrong? How about a junction, a left hand turn and the slinky effect? IF YOU’RE AT THE BACK PLEASE START SPRINTING FOR YOUR LIVES NOW! I’m well versed with these early season stay do or die efforts to stay in touch but this is bloody August for Christ sakes. I embraced the pain as my thighs are douse with lactate and try and stay clam. Unlike Jason Kenny my maximum sprint efforts are a paltry 800-900 watts and not the 2000+watts of the Olympic thunder-thighed-sprint God…5 secs – 10 secs – 15 secs – shhit - the gap is getting wider. I looked back and was all on my lonesome trying to strike up a deal between aerodynamics and maximum anaerobic power agents. Damn I hate sprinting. I looked up. It was still lined out for some 50/60 metres up the road. Gap still not closed…Another look. Relax!! heads are up and hands are back on the hoods. Toot Toot – one of the NEG motorbike riders signifies he’s coming past. Finally, I’m back on the train – completely shagged and still “last man!

Carefree riding at the back of the bunch has come at price. I’ve had to dig deep and I’m annoyed with myself. I hitch a ride on a London Dynamo rider. What did they say about crossing white lines? Er…?! A couple of sharp blasts from the commissionaire’s car behind and we’re back on the left side of Surrey League Race law. The 10 places or so we gained are quickly lost. A shout of “car’ goes out from riders upfront so we ease further to the left to accommodate other white line transgressors and regrettably I slide back almost to whence I came.

Lap 1 completed, marks out of 10 for my bunch riding skills – I’ll give myself two points. Oh well, at least it’s a lovely sunny morning and the course isn’t too changeling. If ‘gently-rolling’ was in the ‘Wikipedia’ there would be a lovely picture of Newdigate, Surrey. Bar one slightly severe kick the uppy bits of the course were fine and the descents fast if a little frustrating coz at the back you’re constantly on the brakes. Ooo! someone’s let a gap go. My momentum carries me past. Thanks mate, I’ll take that - I’ve got myself 2/3rd up the bunch with minimum effort. Matt, my Addiscombe team mate has been ensconced in this position for a while and we share a few quick words about the race. Along with Rick, also ACC, we all acknowledge the pace is fine. OK so far so good but what are we all doing here? We need to get upfront.

Through the numerous domed shaped heads I can see someone off the front on a leg testing mission perhaps? I can’t quite make him out. Is he a Brighton Mitre or VC Meudon? The inevitable happens, peeps get jumpy, index fingers are engaged and a collective click click of the gears turbo charges the front end of the bunch up the road and like excitable pups we all follow…and something approaching “full gas” ensues for about a minute. I’m better prepared for this one and I suck wheels like a pro as we snake our way around the course (a nice little 10 mile loop we circumnavigate 5 ½ times – roughly 56 miles)

The bunch is an ever-changing shape shifting beast and by the end of lap 2 Matt’s riding tempo at the head of things. I spot a couple of Pretorius riders fly up the outside of the bunch and both are now in much desired top 15 positions. Text book stuff – that’s where I wanna be. I sneak forward and allow a guy from Brixton Cycles into a gap and he tows me further forward. On the short steep climb my shallow breaths are drowned out by the heaving of heavier rider in front. I’ve chosen the wrong wheel so I’m temporarily parked up – its cool - gotta be patient. I shake my head internally as a few guys around me give it big gear pedal stomps just to maintain position with more than an hours racing to go. LEARN TO SPIN AND SAVE YA LEGS!

Just past the hour mark I decide to test the legs and follow a move instigated by a perky London Dynamo rider. It feels good for the first time ever to be free from the bunch but detached at the front this time. A Mono CC ride also joins us and a 3-man rotation begins. It was quite possible the most formal breakaway I’ve even been in; I can’t remember their names now but I was told them and they asked for mine. How exciting!? Four others quickly join us and its game on for about 90 seconds. Early breakaway relationships are usually made out of straw. I doubt we even had 20 seconds. The big bad wolf AKA the bunch stirred into action by the end of the 3rd lap we were once again negotiating the surrey lanes together in one big multi-coloured mass

I downed a couple of gels and squeezed a muesli bar into my grill. At the beginning of the fourth lap I put in another surge. Out on my own again but this time without any “mates”. I don’t think my FT is even 290 watts so I was going nowhere quite slowly. I hadn’t gone too deep so I recovered quickly once the bunch came across. With peeps getting tired it was easier to stay up the front.

With a lap and half to go I positioned myself behind a Paceline rider, Paul Moore. We all know they’ve got some good TT guys in their club so I wondered if Paul was one of them. Matt had got away briefly in a small group and was being brought back. I was 6th wheel from the front and wanted to take full advantage of the inevitable lull in pace once Matt was back in the wheels. Matt was back… As chance would have it Paul Moore snuck off the front. I could see his number 42 up front alone - 40 metres away. I then waited for the strong Mono CC guy to burn a match on the front before I jumped. BINGO!!

I was gone. A brief recovery on the back of Paul’s wheel and we had a few seconds. As he testifies in the Paceline Blog he is a bit of a diesel. He was very encouraging though and told me to keep it smooth and not to surge and I was more than happy to oblige. The bell lap rang out and we kept rolling hard for quite a while taking turns – his longer than mine. On the short steep climb I looked back and I could see some riders seemingly bridging across. OH NO!!! FORGET THEM. HEAD DOWN – KEEP RIDING HARD AND LETS SEE.

We kept rolling and eventually the lead car slipped in behind us which meant we had a 30 second gap on the bunch. Now I like to believe I’m a fair rider and kept taking turns as much as I could. Paul said, we were gonna take 1st and 2nd - I wasn’t so sure. Nevertheless, I could tell my Paceline buddy was the stronger rider at this point. I tried to pull through but when I rolled alongside him I wasn’t strong enough to get past him.

Oh well - settle in for the sprint then. The finish was a slightly draggy climb. I surged slightly more in preparation for the effort required rather than an attack. Paul’s legs fell off and I gapped him very quickly. Head down tongue out and I managed to sit up just before the finish line. My first win in a Road Race and finishing alone made it special. Big Thanks to Red Hill Club, their Race marshals, Organising Team and NEG Motor Bike Support.

Comments

• AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Great read. Well done on your win.
    It was like you were writing a race report for me that first half. Ha.
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    Great report, cheers for sharing. Congrats on the win too, chapeau!
  • Toks
    Thanks a lot guys. Keep your race reports coming too Daddy0 8) 8)
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    You should read Pauls race report, Toks. Reads VERY differently to yours and I doubt many riders will trust a word you have to say if in a break with you going forward ;)

Congrats on the win.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Are you going to wear the right colour number at Hillingdon vets in future, as a lot of the over 50s were a pit pissed that you were in a break with 5 other yellow numbers so was allowed to go.
  • Toks
    edited August 2016
    okgo wrote:
    You should read Pauls race report, Toks. Reads VERY differently to yours and I doubt many riders will trust a word you have to say if in a break with you going forward ;)

Congrats on the win.
    Hi Rob, good to hear from you. If you're referring to his (Paul's) post re the race on your forum gotta be honest and say I slept well on sunday night.Please blow a few kisses to his fan boys and the Addiscombe haters and big up Gareth Thomas for me coz he was bang on the money!! Right seeing as you posted lets get down to the truth!!
    1. I bridge over to you we start taking turns and within a few miles its clear your stronger than me; nevertheless I do my best (pretty much report that in my report as does Paul)
    2. We talk and he say's we've got this in the bag positions 1and 2 - blah blah and while in a state of complete exhaustion I mutter back "THINK THIS IS YOURS"
    3. I DID NOT SAY - MATE YOU CAN HAVE THE WIN! - MATE IF I FEEL OK I PROMISE NOT TO ATTACK; or I ABSOLUTELY PROMISE THIS WIN IS YOURS I SWEAR ON MY SONS LIFE - LET SHAKE HANDS ON IT THE WIN IS YOURS
    4.Once again I'm absolutely knackered and I said - THIS IS YOURS (meaning your much stronger than me and Im sure your gonna beat me)
    5.Rob, I sat on almost exclusively for the last 2/3 miles - absolutely true and when we got to the climb I was completely stunned. Ask anyone who I discussed the race with. I wasn't cocky I just said - I was surprised to win
    6. I'm an average 3rd cat who tries his luck every now and then I've lost out loads of times in that positions since I started racing in 2004 - lots of 3rd and 2nds. Never did I cuss, bitch or moan coz I lost out for not racing smart!
    7. I was genuinely surprised Paul dropped himself (I never dropped him - HOW DID I GAIN A 10 SECONd GAP ON HIM AT THE END MY LEGS WERE COMPLETELY SMASHED? on that draggy finished. I Never attacked just tried to push on the pedals a bit coz I was more anticipating the return of the bunch
    8. Tip 1. for Paul - if there's and uphill finish - DON'T DRAG SOME SKINNY DUDE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE CLIMB. It may not work out well for you especially if YOU'VE PHYSICALLY RINSED YOURSELF
    9. Tip 2 If you think you've got some agreement with your breakaway partner (ER..SORRY THERE WASN'T ONE!!) ask for confirmation or shake on it - e.g. something like, are you going to let me win? yes or no
    10. Thanks
  • Toks
    Are you going to wear the right colour number at Hillingdon vets in future, as a lot of the over 50s were a pit pissed that you were in a break with 5 other yellow numbers so was allowed to go.
    Hi mate, imagine you turn up to Hillingdon for the first time all season and tell the sign on lady your date of birth - April 1965 and she gives you number 80. You've also signed and written this down. You race and get in the break and come 6th/7th. Thats all I knew until the end of the race. Sign on lady tells me she made a mistake - obviously by looks she thought I was in my 30s or 40s :lol::lol: Anyway tonight she give me the right number. Thats all I can tell you. It was good fun tonight - I hope you come and join me in the next old duffers breakaway :D
  • Hi Toks, Paul here from Sun. Taking emotion out of it (now that I’ve had a chance to cool off and think it over objectively) and looking at my ride alone, I see now where I went wrong. Regardless of what was said between us, As Gareth pointed out, I should’ve tried to lose you when I had the chance. That’s how to win a race. I was under the impression you had conceded it (after refusing to come through and then the "it's all yours" comment), and so I thought I was doing you a favour by allowing you to sit on (turns out a very big one!:) ) to take 2nd, because I thought we had worked well together at the start. But in hindsight, that was pretty naive of me. You don’t win races through being nice and through favours.

My legs didn’t fall off at the end by the way. But whether you surged, sprinted or whatever, it's irrelevant really because you were expecting a sprint at the very the end, as you say.

Anyway, well played and congratulations on the first road race win… but don’t expect a free ride from me in the future ;)
  • Toks
    :D Hats off to you Paul...it's all a bit ridiculous getting so fired up like this. I'm under no illusions I got lucky. I hope you don't have to wait 10 years give or take for your road race win ;) All the best :)
  • Does anyone know where Paul's report is?

Ta
  • Toks wrote:
    Are you going to wear the right colour number at Hillingdon vets in future, as a lot of the over 50s were a pit pissed that you were in a break with 5 other yellow numbers so was allowed to go.
    Hi mate, imagine you turn up to Hillingdon for the first time all season and tell the sign on lady your date of birth - April 1965 and she gives you number 80. You've also signed and written this down. You race and get in the break and come 6th/7th. Thats all I knew until the end of the race. Sign on lady tells me she made a mistake - obviously by looks she thought I was in my 30s or 40s :lol::lol: Anyway tonight she give me the right number. Thats all I can tell you. It was good fun tonight - I hope you come and join me in the next old duffers breakaway :D

Sorry but it is your responsibility to know if you are over 50 or under 50, it is not rocket science.
  • Toks
    Awww bless you sweetie! You didn't get my explanation last time lett's try again. :D:D
    1.Goodness me, if you're gonna quote me at least take note of what I wrote. I did mention that I was born in April 1965 which yes surprise surprise I actually deduced quite a while ago it makes me 51. Thanks for that :)
    2. I told the sign on lady my age and DOB then signed the appropriate part of the form.
    3. Now here's the bit your clearly having a hard time with so I want you to concentrate.
    4. For some reason she give me NUMBER 80!(I didn't know at the time it was for CD group and not E) Obviously in LVRC races I'm a C)
    5. Now try and imagine this is why it happened - im a little bit late and wanna get ready quick and she's perhaps a bit stressed or whatever and doesn't realise she's given me the wrong number.
    6. I race and afterwards she apologises for giving me the wrong number
    7. I hope you're going to be able to get over this. Hopefully life is not so empty and joyless that you've developed deep down anger and resentment over genuine administration error :|
    8.If you do complain to her promise you'll be nice won't you...as for me I'll try and track down an old box of chocolates from my 51st birthday you can have. Maybe that will help you get over this mistake which "apparently" meant I was able to stay away in a break with a group of 1st and 2nd cats
    9. Good luck in your next race xxx
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Fair play toks, you certainly know how to make yourself popular with your fellow racers. Patronising doesn't even begin to describe that last post.
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    At least you didn't fake a mechanical Toks. :lol:
  • Toks
    edited August 2016
    Try to delete
  • Toks
    edited August 2016
    Imposter wrote:
    Fair play toks, you certainly know how to make yourself popular with your fellow racers. Patronising doesn't even begin to describe that last post.
    Indeed, accusing me of not knowing my own age and thus intimating and that i might be playing unfair is gonna get my hackles up, sorry. I've had years and years of practice of being a happy smiley friendly racer who tries to animate the race and get in a break or two witch has led to a very occasional win. Thats me and I'm still the same. This year has been one of the best results wise so if you happen to have swallowed one or two sweetless grapes racewise and are looking to sprinkle a bit of rain on my parade, no problem. It's a public forum and I will happily explain in a tone that befits your reply why I think you're wrong :D
  • Toks
    maryka wrote:
    At least you didn't fake a mechanical Toks. :lol:
    indeed Maryka - I'm clearly not flavour of the month, already :wink: Can you imagine! :lol::lol:
  • Toks wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Indeed, accusing me of not knowing my own age and thus intimating and that i might be playing unfair is gonna get my hackles up, sorry. I've had years and years of practice of being a happy smiley friendly racer who tries to animate the race and get in a break or two witch has led to a very occasional win. Thats me and I'm still the same. This year has been one of the best results wise so if you happen to have swallowed one or two sweetless grapes racewise and are looking to sprinkle a bit of rain on my parade, no problem. It's a public forum and I will happily explain in a tone that befits your reply why I think you're wrong :D

Please show me where I accused you of deliberately playing unfair, and I do believe I did get it right, as in BC races you are either under 50, or over 50, please do try to keep up. I really couldn't give a shit what you do mate, but just take responsibility for your own actions, not blame others for your lateness/inability to sign on the correct form, there are only 2, clearly marked, under 50 or over 50. Got it sweetpants?
  • Toks
    Toks wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Please show me where I accused you of deliberately playing unfair, and I do believe I did get it right, as in BC races you are either under 50, or over 50, please do try to keep up. I really couldn't give a shoot what you do mate, but just take responsibility for your own actions, not blame others for your lateness/inability to sign on the correct form, there are only 2, clearly marked, under 50 or over 50. Got it sweetpants?
    ha Ha - ok whatever mate. You don't give a shoot? Really?? Er...guess who started the post. I've explained and you refuse to accept it. The form was filled in correctly but hey ho...you're not really interested in that. You've got some axe to grind regardless, no probs. Anyway, I'm bored with this as I'm sure everyone else is. Good luck to you mate :D
  • Toks wrote:
    Toks wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Please show me where I accused you of deliberately playing unfair, and I do believe I did get it right, as in BC races you are either under 50, or over 50, please do try to keep up. I really couldn't give a shoot what you do mate, but just take responsibility for your own actions, not blame others for your lateness/inability to sign on the correct form, there are only 2, clearly marked, under 50 or over 50. Got it sweetpants?
    ha Ha - ok whatever mate. You don't give a shoot? Really?? Er...guess who started the post. I've explained and you refuse to accept it. The form was filled in correctly but hey ho...you're not really interested in that. You've got some axe to grind regardless, no probs. Anyway, I'm bored with this as I'm sure everyone else is. Good luck to you mate :D

I understand that you made a mistake, fair enough. I too am bored with this crap, have a nice life.