Pedal 4 Scotland 112m Big Belter 2016

bflk
bflk Posts: 240
Anyone doing it or thinking of it? I found out the other day that they take entries on the day which is handy if you want to wait and see if it's dry or not. :)

Been toying with the idea since I bought my bike 3 years ago so decided I really should get on with it - but my longest ride to date is only 95 miles. Since then they have moved the finish from Murrayfield to Ingleston.

Comments

• Did this last year and the shorter one the year before. Its OK, pretty well organised ride with well stocked feeding stations and some great scenery in the middle part of the ride. Hated the last few miles through Edinbugh, some of the road surfaces are truly awful.

One other tip, watch out for the final timing point where you are supposed to hand in your chip about 10 miles before the end. Poorly signed and I (and many others) missed it and didn't get a proper time.

Oh and look out for the unoffical feeding station - one of the local farms had set up a few tables and were handing out goodies. Very nice they were too, even saw them sorting out a lift to the nearest train station for someone that had had enough, as well as patching up someone else who had fallen off.

Overall its a pretty good experience, but having done it once and got the proverbial t-shirt, I wouldn't do it again.
    2013 Felt F85 in white
    1999 Specialized Rockhopper A1FS in Orange (winter commuter)
    1980s Raleigh Kellog's Pro Tour Reynolds 501 (trainer)
  • bflk
    Did this last year and the shorter one the year before. Its OK, pretty well organised ride with well stocked feeding stations and some great scenery in the middle part of the ride. Hated the last few miles through Edinbugh, some of the road surfaces are truly awful.

One other tip, watch out for the final timing point where you are supposed to hand in your chip about 10 miles before the end. Poorly signed and I (and many others) missed it and didn't get a proper time.

Oh and look out for the unoffical feeding station - one of the local farms had set up a few tables and were handing out goodies. Very nice they were too, even saw them sorting out a lift to the nearest train station for someone that had had enough, as well as patching up someone else who had fallen off.

Overall its a pretty good experience, but having done it once and got the proverbial t-shirt, I wouldn't do it again.

How did you find all the climbing? I know the first section along the Stewarton road quite well and have been as far as Muirkirk. I think I read a while back that the long climb from Carnwath gets folk as its about 85 miles into the course.
  • bflk
    Got my entry in now, £50 including online booking fee. Bit nervous as the course is very tough but managed a solo 96 miler yesterday so only another hour and bit further!
  • bflk
    Got my number in the post today. Convinced I'll be the slowest rider on the long course especially after seeing all the super fit people out watching ToB yesterday. Bit knackered after a hard weekend of riding but should be rested in time. Good luck if anyone else here is doing it.
  • bflk
    Finished the course, was very tough, exceptionally strong winds even for those areas - did a personal worst on the Muirkirk road. Passed a lot of folks on the hills especially Carmichael 11% around the 78 mile mark when a lot of people got off and walked. Hit 161bpm at the top. The last climb comes at around the 99 mile mark. I thought the infrastructure was a bit thin or even non-existent most of the time and not sure it is really worth £47 to ride the event but I think for me to do it solo would be very hard, whereas the other riders means you can't just give up. The only negative from the day was the transport back, I badly timed getting on the coach and sat on it for almost an hour before it filled up and left. Other than that a great day out, the weather was almost perfect and at least the wind kept the worst of the heat from the sun at bay.

First century and 15 miles further than I've ridden before.

https://www.strava.com/activities/708861799