Releasing a tight S & S coupling

Jim Newmark
Jim Newmark Posts: 151
edited August 2016 in Workshop
Yes, I know I should be greasing them regularly, and I know I haven't. I can release the top one easily, but the one on the downtube is really, really tight. Does anybody have any simple hints? I am thinking of applying heat via a lighter or something - would that work?
My LBS happened to mention that they had someone in who hadn't shifted his for eight years and they couldn't do anything to help him, so we giggled a bit together, and then when I went home I tried to move mine .... I think I last greased it about two years ago .....

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,581
    generic advice for stuck stuff: penetrating oil, let it seep in, then try freeing it up, try tighten/loosen as well as just loosen

naked flame seems a bit drastic, a heat gun or hairdryer would be more controlled, or pour hot water on it
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Thanks. The hot water did the trick, along with a wrench on wrench extension. I will be more careful to look after them in future. I have had them on two of my bikes for many years - I thought I would use them more than I actually have. They are nice to have, but for me it was probably not worth the cost.