Live power/HR/cadence data during ride

penski
penski Posts: 124
I've started using Strava to log my rides and runs as of a few months ago. Since I have recently bought a power meter, I would like to display this data along with my heart rate and cadence whilst I am riding.

I do not have a dedicated head unit such as a garmin, therefore I am using my Android phone on a mount.

Strava does display some data on the 'record activity' screen, but it seems to be an average over the entire ride, which is not very useful. Is this correct?

What options exist for seeing such data?

Comments

• norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    I'd spend another £200 on a Garmin 520 and that will connect to and display everything you need.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Their power figures are bobbins so you don't need that.

Cadence - so long as you're not struggling with it then I don't see it being very useful.

HR - useful if you've done your max tests. If you haven't then not so much. Any cheap HRM would give you that.
  • joenobody
    joenobody Posts: 563
    cougie wrote:
    Their power figures are bobbins so you don't need that.
    But his power meter will be more accurate...
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    You must be the first person to buy a PM before a head unit. Lol
  • penski
    penski Posts: 124
    AK_jnr wrote:
    You must be the first person to buy a PM before a head unit. Lol

Well, I've always used my smartphone for everything tbh. I always thought that my smartphone would be much much more powerful than a headunit. SportsTracker shows you cadence, heart rate etc but I abandoned it a while back because of the propietary nature of their hardware requirements.

Mind, I am being tempted to buy a Garmin, but surely there must be something that can do the same job that people are using.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    i think the wahoo app will show this - assuming either your power meter has bluetooth or your phone receives ant+
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Penski wrote:
    I've started using Strava to log my rides and runs as of a few months ago. Since I have recently bought a power meter, I would like to display this data along with my heart rate and cadence whilst I am riding.

I do not have a dedicated head unit such as a garmin, therefore I am using my Android phone on a mount.

Strava does display some data on the 'record activity' screen, but it seems to be an average over the entire ride, which is not very useful. Is this correct?

Get yourself a Garmin 510 or 800. They at least have swipe screens making them easier to operate on the move and are cheap now that there are newer models on release.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Cadence - it can be helpful - but (for me anyway) only a reminder that I'm not pedalling to the cadence I should be ...

Heart rate - again, this can be helpful - especially for measured efforts where you know you can sustain an effort level for a particular time - or if you've got a longer event and you don't want to overdo it on the first part - then you can use it to keep your HR down.

Power - this can be more helpful than HR in that it's more instant. (HR drags a bit) - but it can also be too sensitive - spikes in power don't help you measure your effort - average the power reading over a time - typically 3 or 10 seconds will smooth it out a bit and can be used to gauge your efforts - although for me it's more just a "FYI" field atm.

Have you got Strava premium? Because that enables more things in the app as well as the online benefits - I've not got it myself so can't help there. I use a Garmin 800 which does the vast majority of what I need - could do with Bluetooth I guess, but that's a convenience thing ..
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Your phone is for your pocket...get a Garmin and thank us later.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    DavidJB wrote:
    Your phone is for your pocket...get a Garmin and thank us later.

That.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    i think the wahoo app will show this - assuming either your power meter has bluetooth or your phone receives ant+

^ this.

Congratulations on posting the only helpful reply in this thread! :lol:
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447

^ this.

I think most people are surprised at the use of a PM without a head unit, or why you wouldn't have one already. That's why the recommendations to get one, if you can afford a PM you can afford a Garmin. The OP may have a specific reason why he doesn't want one, but I can't think of any. :?
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    NorvernRob wrote:

^ this.

I think most people are surprised at the use of a PM without a head unit, or why you wouldn't have one already.
    The OP does have a "head unit" - it's his mobile phone - they can work as a head unit quite well - if you've got the right software running on it and have the hardware capability of pairing with the devices.

Ok - we can wonder why the OP bought a PM without first checking he'd be able to see the power data - but he probably just assumed that as he can see everything else on the strava screen then power would be included.
    If the OP has a stages PM and strava premium membership then he should be able to see live power from the powermeter (although a search suggests that it can't display cadence at the same time).

The only real issues with using your phone are the vulnerability of the device (cos phones are quite expensive and don't like to be dropped) and the battery life - which generally gets seriously reduced with the screen and GPS on 100% of the time.
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Yep phone's fine for shorter rides but one of the main reasons I got a Garmin was so I wouldn't burn through my phone battery in a couple of hours.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    philthy3 wrote:
    Penski wrote:

Get yourself a Garmin 510 or 800. They at least have swipe screens making them easier to operate on the move and are cheap now that there are newer models on release.

Not true, they are actually more expensive than the newer ones, if you can find them anywhere.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • StillGoing
    antfly wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    Penski wrote:

Not true, they are actually more expensive than the newer ones, if you can find them anywhere.

You need to search better; the 800 and 510 are much cheaper than the 520. A quick search and I've found the 510 at under £140 new and the 800 is going for under £135 as a reconditioned unit.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    So, where can you get a new 510 for £140 ?
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • StillGoing
    antfly wrote:
    So, where can you get a new 510 for £140 ?

Stock being sold on eBay by various vendors.