Route advice please: Chew Valley to Exeter

londoncommuter
londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
pppp

Comments

• I know you're route as far as Somerton and if I was doing it I'd probably try and avoid going up Harptree Hill. In my opinion it's much nicer to head towards Burrington and up onto the Mendips via Burrington Coombe.

From the top of Burrington take the right turn that takes you towards Charterhouse to rejoin the route you planned at around 10km in near the top of Cheddar.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/12755041

Use parts of this route to get you up and over the Mendips via Burrington Combe with some changes to make it more direct. If you follow this route be very wary of the descent to Rodney Stoke, it's fast 35mph but you need to stop at the cross roads at the bottom. There is a marshall on the junction when I've done the ride this is from.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    edited July 2017
    pppp
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    Burrington Combe is actually quite a nice climb (despite the profile!), not too long and doesn't ramp up too much anywhere. Not sure when you're planning on doing this route, but I would avoid coming down Cheddar Gorge if it's a sunny weekend or bank holiday - lots of coaches, you'll be on your brakes the whole way. It's a good drop otherwise, recently resurfaced near the bottom as well.

Your route through Wedmore / Westhay / Shapwick is good; not sure about the section to Langport, I normally go via Othery and Aller, but it looks okay.

Good roads as far as the A358. From there, I would cross straight over to Broadway and up onto the Blackdowns via Hare Lane. It's a decent, slightly challenging climb (2.6 miles at 4.6% average, but ramps up in the middle and again towards the end.) Follow the road heading West and slightly North, it's shallow rolling hills along the north ridge of the Blackdowns, and start heading South at the point marked Culmhead (no actual village there) through Smeatharpe and drop into Honiton.

From Honiton, there's a road that runs alongside the A30 to Fenny Bridges, Gosford and across to London Road, where you can pick up your route again just South of Broadclyst.

Hope that helps!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Burringtom Combe on Strava is quite short but in reality is close to nearly two miles from the left hand turn to where it levels off a little.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Many thanks for all the tips. I've made the changes I think you're all suggesting:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/15537936