My new steed - Mango Point R

bungle73
bungle73 Posts: 758
edited November 2017 in Your road bikes
He she is at last. Since I've asked about half a dozen questions up to buying this I thought I owed you a look! :P

27907839566_cba88b1d5b_c.jpgMy new road bike by Graham West 2014, on Flickr

Peddles are only temporary, until I become confident enough riding her to put on the SPDs. I went for the Vision Team 30 wheelset upgrade because it was such a bargain!

Edit: Cheap platform pedals have been replaced with Shimano SPDs, as you can see from the updated pic. :)

Comments

• That's a really nice looking bike hope it rides as good at it looks!
  • bungle73
    Thanks.

I haven't unleashed it's full potential yet. I've only done a few, very short, rides today to get used to it. I'm used to an MTB.

Schoolboy error: I noticed just now that I'd put the bottle cage on upside down! :oops:
  • bungle73
    Something odd was that the bike didn't come with any reflectors, apart from wheel ones. I thought it was the law the new cycles had to be supplied with reflectors?
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Would you have kept them all on?!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • bungle73
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Would you have kept them all on?!
    Well yeah. I don't want to hit by a car. Besides, it's a legal requirement to have them on.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    You think a reflector world stop you getting hit by a car?!
    Also, when has anyone ever been prosecuted for not having a reflector on their bike?
    Ask the shop to provide them if you are so inclined.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • bungle73
    NapoleonD wrote:
    You think a reflector world stop you getting hit by a car?!
    Also, when has anyone ever been prosecuted for not having a reflector on their bike?
    Ask the shop to provide them if you are so inclined.

Well it helps doesn't it. And what's a good reason for not having them? Aesthetics? There are more important considerations imo.
  • PhilPub
    PhilPub Posts: 229
    Nice looking bike, the wheels are particularly smart. if you want to be seen on your bike, wear reflective clothing. Especially on your feet; other road users notice them because they're moving around more. And your bike is still nice to look at. ;-)
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Besides, it's a legal requirement to have them on.

I'm not sure it is...I believe the legal requirement is on the shop to fit them to all new bikes sold.

Nice bike :D
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Hope you enjoy it. Happy riding.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Looks very nice, apart from the obvious bottle-cage debacle! It is an Alu frame isn't it? Those welds are very nice, I thought it was carbon at first glance.

If you want reflectors, just buy 'em - they're a few quid. It's your bike, if you feel safer with them, go for it.

I think most on here ditch them for aesthetic reasons really, and having built a bike myself I didn't bother (riding in the dark - lights, riding in the daylight - no need). Can't say I'm checking round every corner for alert Bobbies! Plus they tend to take up bar and seatpost room where the lights go.
  • lukesween
    lukesween Posts: 13
    Looks great. Bought the Mrs a Mango single speed last year and still faultless. Always make good bikes that look fantastic
  • bungle73
    Looks very nice, apart from the obvious bottle-cage debacle! It is an Alu frame isn't it? Those welds are very nice, I thought it was carbon at first glance.

Yeah, that's correct - It's one of the reasons I bought it. But the fork is carbon.

Edit: (Just don't look at the BB. :P )
  • bungle73
    Shame that the wheel braking surfaces are already well on their way from turning from black to silver though (it's supposed to happen). I think the black looks better.
  • bungle73
    I don't think I mentioned before, that it has a bladed fork, internal cable routing, and the wheels (Vision Team 30) have bladed spokes. 8)

I got the wheels for a bargain £69.99 (RRP £219.95) on top of the price for the regular bike. 8)

I also, recently, managed to pick up a second hand Garmin 800, with two cases, two normal mounts, and an up-front mount fairly cheaply on eBay. This replaces my phone and cheap Chinese wireless cycle computer that had started playing up, and had been subject to interference.
  • bungle73
    I replaced the photo with a better one. :)
  • effillo
    effillo Posts: 257
    I was reading about these the other week. £750 for 105 equipped is a great bargain, square taper BB though? Not so sure.

Pretty weighty at just under 10kg, can take massive tyres though. Seems like an ideal commuting bike.

I really like the no frills plain look of the frame with black fork. Would be nice if other manufacturers went down this route, I know they use them as rolling adverts but a nice clean looking frame like this with small logo on the front looks awesome.

Congrats on an all things considered very decent bike for the dosh.
  • bungle73
    effillo wrote:
    square taper BB though? Not so sure.

Is that such a problem though?
    Pretty weighty at just under 10kg, can take massive tyres though.
    Not sure about 105 equipped bikes, but with the lower end groupsets, from my research looking around prior to purchase, it seems like a more or less average weight for a bike at that level; Eg that year's Specilized Allez (Claris) was weighed in at 10.2 kgs in Cycling Weekly's review video.
    Congrats on an all things considered very decent bike for the dosh.
    Thanks. :)
  • bungle73
    Fixed the image, as it wasn't working.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    How do you know it's a she (or even a horse when it comes to it)? That said, it is a nice bike.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • bungle73
    ayjaycee wrote:
    How do you know it's a she (or even a horse when it comes to it)? That said, it is a nice bike.
    Thanks. Vehicles are always female.
  • bungle73
    Seems that the company has gone bust.......

BTW I've changed quite a few things on the bike since I bought it:

Replaced the tyres with a pair of 28 mm Continental 4 Seasons.

Replaced the brake calipers with a pair of Shimano long pull ones

Replaced the brake blocks with Kool Stop dual compound

Replaced the 80 mm stem with a 90, and then a 100.

Replaced the cassette and chain due to wear.