Which pedals/cleats to buy for a novice?

2»

Comments

• bungle73
    bungle73 Posts: 758
    glenncz wrote:
    I certainly wouldn't get MTB cleats. If you are spending money on a bike like that you want clipless pedals to be a real road rider, otherwise you are certainly just a "novice". I bought Look Keo compatible pedals for $29 on Amz and they work just fine, but i see they are not available anymore
    What a load of nonsense. SPDs ARE clipless pedals. And WTF is a "real road rider"?
  • mcstumpy
    mcstumpy Posts: 298
    Bungle73 wrote:
    glenncz wrote:
    I certainly wouldn't get MTB cleats. If you are spending money on a bike like that you want clipless pedals to be a real road rider, otherwise you are certainly just a "novice". I bought Look Keo compatible pedals for $29 on Amz and they work just fine, but i see they are not available anymore
    What a load of nonsense. SPDs ARE clipless pedals. And WTF is a "real road rider"?

Suspect you took the bait there.

I had the same decision last year, I chose spd pedals with a touring shoe (recessed cleat) because I wanted to be able to ride with normal shoes on occasion (eg I will commute on office dress down days and didn't want to be faffing about with shoes). I have shimano a530 pedals that are flat on one side (which as mentioned above is also useful when in traffic situations where unclipping a lot). I'm happy with my choice and it works for me.

If my riding was 100% get bike from garage, fitness ride, back to garage..... I'd probably have gone with spd sl or similar.

My brother in law fitted clip less yesterday for first time, shimano spd sl. He had no issues clipping in and out, and was very happy with the new set up.

To be honest, I think it will be fine whatever way you go
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    Pro MTB people often seem to have chips on their shoulders IMO.
    They seem to be desperate for other people to do as they do (especially M520 owners!).

Its so funny when people slag off road shoes/pedals and people who use them, then say they have never tried them :roll:

One doesn't need to have tried them, because it's pretty common knowledge, and common sense, that road pedals/cleats/shoes are much more of a pain to live with, unless one never gets off the bike.

And I don't know what you mean by having "a chip on their shoulders" either tbh............

That's not my post btw. Somebody has fat fingers.
  • I use both, don't find any difference clipping out although it's easier to get into SPDs if they're double sided. You can also buy SPDs that are single sided with the reverse being a normal, flat pedal platform. As everyone says, SPDs are much easier to walk around in although they're normally a little heavier. Both are fine, it just depends what you need them for - I think the best advice I saw in this thread was not to get "novice" ones. Just get quality! M520s are cheap and bombproof. On the road I use Time pedals, although others prefer Look/Shimano. I don't really know if there's a huge difference there.
  • Get a cheap set that do the job just fine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM3aV1f3PfY
  • 22stu
    22stu Posts: 69
    Similar dilemma I'm currently in with the impending delivery of my new bike.
    I've never bothered with clip-ins and even now tend to ride in flat soled trainers but do notice they aren't really up to the job, but do need a pair of shoes that I can walk in as do tend to stop mid-route for a bite of lunch or a nice glass of Aspalls!
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    22stu wrote:
    I've never bothered with clip-ins and even now tend to ride in flat soled trainers but do notice they aren't really up to the job, but do need a pair of shoes that I can walk in as do tend to stop mid-route for a bite of lunch or a nice glass of Aspalls!

It doesnt need to be a dilemma - SPD and some 'hike a bike' types shoes will probably see you well and even if you ditch the clipless pedals you could still use the shoes.

I am intrigued though - what do you notice which makes you say your trainers arent really up to the job?
  • Speedplay with the new walkable cleats.
  • 22stu
    apreading wrote:
    22stu wrote:

It doesnt need to be a dilemma - SPD and some 'hike a bike' types shoes will probably see you well and even if you ditch the clipless pedals you could still use the shoes.

I am intrigued though - what do you notice which makes you say your trainers arent really up to the job?

SPD's and something like a MTB shoe were what I had in mind.

More of how the trainers feel being very soft soled - I do tend to pedal on my toes but can end up slipping in to the habit of pedalling pigeon-toed causing some pain in the sole of my feet, more of a technique issue than a flaw in trainers I guess?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I would be wary of expecting shoes to correct a tendency to be pigeon-toed. For example, there is plenty of 'float' in SPD, so they will not stop this. Other clips with less float could stop it but if that is your natural foot angle would probably then be uncomfortable.

If you want something with stiffer soles then make sure to choose the right shoe - some of the MTB 'hike a bike' type shoes also still have a soft sole and combining this with a skinny pedal that has no cage, like the 520, would not be recommended. If buying this type of shoe, I would recommend something like M424 or M530, which have a wider platform to support the shoe better. The 520 should only be used if you have shoes with a really stiff sole or you will have a similar problem to the one you have right now.
  • 22stu
    apreading wrote:
    I would be wary of expecting shoes to correct a tendency to be pigeon-toed. For example, there is plenty of 'float' in SPD, so they will not stop this. Other clips with less float could stop it but if that is your natural foot angle would probably then be uncomfortable.

If you want something with stiffer soles then make sure to choose the right shoe - some of the MTB 'hike a bike' type shoes also still have a soft sole and combining this with a skinny pedal that has no cage, like the 520, would not be recommended. If buying this type of shoe, I would recommend something like M424 or M530, which have a wider platform to support the shoe better. The 520 should only be used if you have shoes with a really stiff sole or you will have a similar problem to the one you have right now.

Good advice - thanks for that. I've still a lot to learn.....