Brake pads that don't overheat !!!

Southdown
Southdown Posts: 3
edited August 2016 in MTB general
Hi Everyone, new to the forum and was recommended this was the place to come too :D So I'm an intermediate rider and regular on the South Downs. Ride is a Boardman Pro 29er with Shimano Deore and SM Rt66m rotors. Question is I need advice on what are a decent pad as I regularly overheat the pad and the rotor takes on the colour of the sky! Cheers and looking forward to using this forum.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    On the South Downs? Didn't know it was possible.

Stay off the brakes a bit and don't drag them.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    What sort of speeds are you doing to overheat your pads and discs?

If it's not due to dragging the brakes then invest in IceTech rotors and pads.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If you're overheating pads anywhere other than on alpine descents then it's not the pads at fault.
    Don't drag the brakes. Use short, positive braking, your brakes will last much longer and your suspension will be free to work properly. Whilst you are braking, your suspension cannot work as it should.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    All pads overheat, you can get harder grade pads that work to a higher temperature but then they are rubbish cold.

Overheating pads on the SDW is just poor technique.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Many thanks for all the replies. I agree it must be my technique. Will invest in some decent pads and learn not to drag my brakes.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Superstar sintered pads are cheap and very good.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Plenty of finned pads and vented rotors out there to help, but I've never managed to get brake fade in the UK as a result of overheating my pads (only once in the alps). Get off the brakes!!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5