Edinburgh Bicycle Manchester

foy
foy Posts: 296
edited August 2016 in MTB general
The shop has closed down only 4 months after the sheffield shop also closed does anyone know why?

Comments

• foy
    Heard from the staff that the shop has closed due to being unable to compete with online retailers, so sad to see them go another bricks and mortar shop bites the dust.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Perhaps if they were only open 4 months they didn't really do their homework properly.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • foy
    The shop has been open 9 years in manchester, the sheffield shop closed 4 months ago cooldad.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    We all use CRC and Wiggle and the like... and we'll all moan when there are no bike shops left.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    ...and even then CRC have bought Wiggle too.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Guilty as charged, but I rarely buy anything except food from real shops, and even then I do a regular online monthly shop.
    I haven't been in an actual bike shop for years, and don't really see the need.
    Basic stuff up to shock/fork service I do myself, and expert stuff is going to get sent off to TF Tuned or Mojo by most bike shops anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    The issues with that *particular* EBC shop as I've ridden past it many a time are as follows (IMO):

1) It's just too big. The square footage there was just ridiculous and they had to hold a LOT of stock to fill it.

2) Their pricing. They seemed to play too much on the 'being a co-operative', but never made any concerted effort for offers or to compete.

3) Their product offering was completely unsuitable in recent times. Being near such a massive University area and next to quite a deprived area, they needed to focus more on the bread & butter.

4) They're splat bang around an area of massive redevelopment and major cycle 'superhighways' being installed by the council, so in theory it should increase their traffic. But I imagine that if their rental contract was up for renewal, then there would likely to be a significant increase.

Just my two penny worth. Ridden past many times and never bought anything.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • foy
    Yes you are bang on the money it was the big rental increase that forced it to close.
  • foy
    One local bike shop owner told me that he buys his stock from chain reaction as it works out cheaper than buying it at trade price. Does not look very good for the future of bricks and mortar bike shops. Ok if you can do your own servicing and repairs but not good if you cannot, as you cannot get a bike repaired or serviced on the internet.
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    foy wrote:
    One local bike shop owner told me that he buys his stock from chain reaction as it works out cheaper than buying it at trade price. Does not look very good for the future of bricks and mortar bike shops. Ok if you can do your own servicing and repairs but not good if you cannot, as you cannot get a bike repaired or serviced on the internet.

It'll change again in coming years.

You'll see several major brands go for a direct distribution model, cutting out the distributors and allowing the IBD to become more competitive once again on product 'costs'.

The brands want to protect their image/price and I can guarantee you that Shimano, Continental, Garmin and others will ALL be distributing directly within 5 years. It will put off the need for online retailers to buy from bike manufacturers all of this OEM product. Plus, this is another reason that you're seeing the major online retailers also create their own in-house bike bands, as it will guarantee them access to this direct OEM pricing themselves.

One prime example is Castelli. Saddleback (their UK distrib) will sing the song about protecting trade prices in the UK and making sure the physical retailers can compete with online. But come a low period where Saddleback needs some cash or they're sat on a bit too much stock, they'll be right on the phone to Wiggle because they KNOW that Wiggle will just snap it up right away at the right price because they have the cash to do so. The distributors are becoming the problem.

The market will change and we'll see the number of bike shops settle down. But for now, big square footage isn't always the answer. Evans at the Chill Factor generates over £100k per week in revenue, stores like that just magically work as destination stores and they should remain as the big ones. Nobody is going to drive to Oxford Road in Mcr to EBC to visit their vast range anymore. You'll see more and more 'workshop focussed' bike shops.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    cooldad wrote:
    Guilty as charged, but I rarely buy anything except food from real shops, and even then I do a regular online monthly shop.
    I haven't been in an actual bike shop for years, and don't really see the need.
    Basic stuff up to shock/fork service I do myself, and expert stuff is going to get sent off to TF Tuned or Mojo by most bike shops anyway.
    Unfortunately not everyone has reached guru status quite yet, and it helps to get advice in person, repairs carried out, being able to see/sit on bikes, try out clothing etc.

But yeah, online is cheaper...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    JSCL wrote:
    foy wrote:

It'll change again in coming years.

You'll see several major brands go for a direct distribution model, cutting out the distributors and allowing the IBD to become more competitive once again on product 'costs'.
    One large (one of the big two) components manufacturers is rumoured to be going direct as soon as next year.

Also, most of the distributers claim to be slapping the big discounters on the wrists and cutting off their supply, but it mostly seems to be nothing but lip-service. Hopefully this wiggle-CRC merger will do the bricks and mortar shops a favour as they'll no longer be in competition. On the other hand, maybe they'll flog stuff for even less as they have even more buying power and well and truly put the last nail in the coffin? Good times, hey?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5