Inner thighs aching: normal?

ajmitchell
ajmitchell Posts: 203
Hi as a relative newcomer to cycling I did not expect to experience aching inner thighs and groin (where the adductor muscles & gracilist insert to pelvis). Yes I expected quadriceps and hamstrings but not inner thighs. I notice over a year my inner thigh muscles are stronger and more developed but at the same time often aching and sore. typical DOMS I expect but is this common? Strangle I don't get much quad discomfort. I guess I hadn't realised cycling develops inner thighs muscles and am just looking for others views on this. thanks

Comments

• figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    I can offer only my own observations on this, nothing scientific.

I find that when I ride my MTB I get some upper/inner thigh ache - not a strain or pull, just a sort of you-worked-this-muscle-hard kind of thing. However I don't get it on my road bike, but do get more prominent quad burning.

I therefore surmise that it is a position thing, with one bike causing me to work muscles differently to the other. I further suppose that a change of saddle/bar heights and angles, pedal/shoe fittings etc would probably make some difference. Whether you want or need to make any change is up to you, but these are my musings.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Don't ever remember inner thighs aching so I think your position might not be quite right.

Post up a picture of you side on maybe ?
  • ajmitchell
    ajmitchell Posts: 203
    hi I found these past threads on inner thigh strain which are useful ; seems it is not that uncommon and inner thighs are effected by cycling esp in tt position.

viewtopic.php?f=40011&t=12949541&p=18628236&hilit=adductor#p18628236

viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12844684&p=17527739&hilit=adductor#p17527739
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    "normal"? Only if you're using a Susan Sommers Thigh Master.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    seat could be too high. Inner thigh pain is normal if this is the case and happens quite quickly.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.