Do I need to change my shifters too?

saladrider
saladrider Posts: 16
edited August 2016 in Road beginners
Just saw a very cheap 8 speed Shimano claris rear derraileur. I figured I should swap it with my Microshift r8. Im just wondering if it would work on my Microshift shifter? Is that possible? :roll:

Thank you guys for your help :D

Btw how do I post photos? This way I can show you guys

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I do not know if a Shimano mech would be compatible with Microshift shifters. It's not just about how many clicks and how far apart the sprockets are, but the amount of cable pulled with each click and the geometry of the rear mech.

But why would you want to do this anyway; swapping one 8 speed mech for another. Is the Microshift stuff broken / worn out?
  • keef66 wrote:
    I do not know if a Shimano mech would be compatible with Microshift shifters. It's not just about how many clicks and how far apart the sprockets are, but the amount of cable pulled with each click and the geometry of the rear mech.

But why would you want to do this anyway; swapping one 8 speed mech for another. Is the Microshift stuff broken / worn out?

The Mircro r8 is still new. I just figured the claris can have 11-32T.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Just seen on the Microshift site it says their R8 shifters are compatible with Claris 2400, so you could if you wanted to...
  • keef66 wrote:
    Just seen on the Microshift site it says their R8 shifters are compatible with Claris 2400, so you could if you wanted to...

Wow really?? I might consider buying one since its a bargain hehe :lol:
  • Microshift use the same pull ratios as shimano so all cross compatable