Feather Road Disc

mbroady
mbroady Posts: 63
edited August 2016 in Your road bikes
Got about 2k on the clock now so given her a good once over, everything is bedded in and tight as a drum. Time for some vanity shots.

Only real upgrade coming up is the hidden barend Di2 unit when that gets released so I can get rid of the ugly junction box from the front end. Maybe the Dura Ace 9100 shifters as these R785s are a bit chunky.

Higher res shots - http://imgur.com/gallery/TA940

BOjWWbJ.jpg
VjCHac8.jpg
OhV8lWU.jpg
kQsHf99.jpg
xFrN0Jr.jpg
KCu2tE3.jpg?1
rS6840x.jpg?1
y1lJ6kw.jpg
lQSfrvU.jpg
ebKb0R6.jpg
W6bzef5.jpg?1

Comments

• the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    That is an absolute stunner!
    FCN 3 / 4
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Ricky's bikes are among the best.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • mbroady
    Another pic I found on my phone, this shows how good Rickys painter is, taking my 'proof of concept' to an actual paint job.

9TXAwSa.jpg
  • Wow!!
    Building:
    S-Works Venge, Ultegra DI2, Carbon Clinchers
    Race:
    Moda Stretto, Force Groupset, American Classic Carbon 58`s

Winter:
    Whyte Suffolk, Hydro Disks

Retro:
    Tommasini Super Prestige Full Campagnolo C/W Delta`s
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Nice, nice and nice again. Chapeau.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • kayodot
    kayodot Posts: 143
    fantastic! love Ricky's work.
  • chaymck
    chaymck Posts: 157
    Cracking. Love it

How tight is the clearance under the fork!?
  • mbroady
    chaymck wrote:
    Cracking. Love it

How tight is the clearance under the fork!?

It's fairly snug, no chance of running 28s. Saying that, the 25 Vittorias measure up 27mm wide on these rims.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Amazing paint job
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    That is a stunner. I hope it takes you on many happy adventures.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    How long did you have to wait for it, from the point you "placed the order"?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • mbroady
    Was a fair while, probably about 2 years but that was mainly down to waiting on the whole road disc 'standard' thing to sort itself out somewhat. I could have got it sooner if going for rim brakes but had my heart set on discs so waited for the Flat Mount specs to emerge.

I ended up making a flat mount jig for Ricky because there were no solutions on the market with it being such a new standard.

12080484_1681421285406386_1022586445_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTA4Njk3MzcwMTIyNjMyMzg2OQ%3D%3D.2
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,170
    It's very beautiful, but having the option to go custom I wouldn't have chosen such narrow tyre clearances... it seems you are really limited with the size of your tyres and even the current size will inevitably cause the paint at the back of the seat tube to be ruined fairly quickly, as you pickup dirt and debris
    left the forum March 2023
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Is that a standard colour scheme or were you at the Nuffield Tri on Sunday?
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    Lovely. Really graceful bike. The best interpretation of "mid 90's Marin" I've seen in a modern paint job- I've wondered how to manage that myself.
  • Lovely... how are those Ai2 rotors? Have you used the Shimano Ice tech to compare them to?
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Any problems with toe overlap
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I like the frame. Yes the R785 shifter are chunky. Not sure if the R9100 series shifter will be any better. RRP is £500 per side with calipers! Dur in January but that will slip.

The only thing I would change is the bar tape. It kind of clashes with the rest of the bike. Not sure how you manage to keep it clean. I would have also gone for more clearance for wider tyres. But hey it not my bike is it it yours.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • mbroady
    It's very beautiful, but having the option to go custom I wouldn't have chosen such narrow tyre clearances... it seems you are really limited with the size of your tyres and even the current size will inevitably cause the paint at the back of the seat tube to be ruined fairly quickly, as you pickup dirt and debris

Fair comment, I can get 28mm in the back but no chance on the front, the Enve forks are fairly tight with 25mm on wide rims. I can't imagine I'd want to go over 25 on this bike anyway, I've got plenty of clearance on the other bike, could get 30s on there no problem.
  • mbroady
    balthazar wrote:
    Lovely. Really graceful bike. The best interpretation of "mid 90's Marin" I've seen in a modern paint job- I've wondered how to manage that myself.

Good point, I never made that link but now you mention it it's definitely there, I always liked the mix of muted frames and neon forks on those older Marins. My LBS used to have loads but that was back in my BMX days so I never owned one.
  • mbroady
    coops1967 wrote:
    Lovely... how are those Ai2 rotors? Have you used the Shimano Ice tech to compare them to?

Yeah they've been great, no problems at all, although they're the first discs I've used in years so don't really have anything to compare to! I'm thinking either Hope or Shimano at 160mm when I need to replace eventually, give the larger discs a go just to compare. The Icetech isn't available in 6-bolt 140mm which was the main reason I went with the Ashimas to start with.
  • mbroady
    mamil314 wrote:
    Any problems with toe overlap

No, it's not something I've noticed, I'm size 8 so not too big which might help things. You can make it happen when going really slow but that's the same for any bike I've ridden.
  • mbroady
    I like the frame. Yes the R785 shifter are chunky. Not sure if the R9100 series shifter will be any better. RRP is £500 per side with calipers! Dur in January but that will slip.

The only thing I would change is the bar tape. It kind of clashes with the rest of the bike. Not sure how you manage to keep it clean. I would have also gone for more clearance for wider tyres. But hey it not my bike is it it yours.

Yeah I saw the prices... May just live with the R785s after all..

The tape is Supacaz, really nice stuff but probably a bit thick if I'm being honest. It cleans up great as well, a bit of cleaner / degreaser on a rag and any muck comes right off. I don't wear gloves either so it was a concern, probably go with grey tape when I do eventually replace though.
  • MBroady wrote:
    coops1967 wrote:
    Lovely... how are those Ai2 rotors? Have you used the Shimano Ice tech to compare them to?

Yeah they've been great, no problems at all, although they're the first discs I've used in years so don't really have anything to compare to! I'm thinking either Hope or Shimano at 160mm when I need to replace eventually, give the larger discs a go just to compare. The Icetech isn't available in 6-bolt 140mm which was the main reason I went with the Ashimas to start with.

Ah, I didn't realise they were 140mm - mine are the 6 bolt 160mm Shimano and are great (and hydraulic is certainly far better than the previous mechanical cable disc brakes I had on the previous bike). I've ordered some Ai2 160mm to put on the new wheels i'm getting from the UK - the 160mm Shimano are more than enough stopping power, so even the visible reduction in stopping area on the Ai2's should still be more then good enough (especially compared to 140mm rotors)... and they're good enough value to try ( as opposed to carbon-Ti lightweight rotors.... :shock: )